It Was a Merry Christmas.... then.... OOOPS

Kyle23

Reaction score
This thread is going to be a story thread. Hopefully not many people will have stories like mine, but I know some will.

It was yesterday on Christmas. I was playing my Cordoba concert ukulele the night before and I set it up on the side of the bed when I was done. The next day my family and I are getting ready to go to my sisters house and outside I hear a car screeching its tires, sounding like an accident is about to happen. I jumped up quickly to look out the window, my uke fell over from my bed and BAM, my heel goes right through the top of it. I'm a pretty big person and I'm actually surprised how easily my foot went through. There is a giant hole in the bottom half of my uke and my foot starts gushing blood from wood splinters sticking out of it. I had to pull about 4 big splinters out of the bottom of my foot. The ukulele is ruined 100%.

I do have other ukes, but I really loved this one. It was more of a "beater uke" for when I don't play my KoAloha or KPK ukes, so it's not AS important, but man did that hurt both physically and emotionally.

Does anyone have any stories of breaking their ukuleles? No matter how small the break or scratch was, I'd like to hear that I'm not alone here!

Here's the damage.
5HF9oNu.jpg

My heartfelt condolences, sir! That would not be fun from either perspective. Some neosporine wood be good and put some on your foot also. Cuddle your other ukes for comfort!

sopher

Yow! Scratches and dings for sure but nothing that catastrophic yet. The only "bright side" is like you say - at least it wasn't the Koaloha. :eek:

I only had my uke drop once because I was in a hurry and thought I’d latched the case. It frazzled me all the way to my lesson. That was enough to keep me uke-mindful to present day. Apparently, it happens. Ive also heard of people driving over their stringed instruments because they left them atop their cars, etc, but never a foot through the uke while watching to see an accident happen. Of course, it’s gonna happen with your most played/loved uke. What would we learn if we didn’t care?

How was the car btw?

I only had my uke drop once because I was in a hurry and thought I’d latched the case.

I learned that lesson years ago gigging with my Gibson ES-335 in a band back in the 60s. NEVER close an instrument case without closing the latches!

I learned that lesson years ago gigging with my Gibson ES-335 in a band back in the 60s. NEVER close an instrument case without closing the latches!

I am guilty of that! It’s like accident waiting to happen ! I need to remind myself to stop doing that.

Bad luck Kyle, I can feel your pain.

Is there a chance it could be covered by your household insurance?

Bummer, Kyle. Sorry to hear this about your favorite Uke, and your foot!

Wow, Kyle, that is one helluva soundhole.
I think your foot is more important. Have someone check it with a torch and magnifier to make sure ALL the splinters are out.
Such a bummer......but the bright side, a Cordoba is easily replaced! Use this as an excuse to get another uke!

Sorry to see / hear that!

You asked for "similar" stories so I guess I'll share mine. It was quite similar to yours except it happened the day after Xmas and I wasn't home to hear the screeching of the car that slid into mine while it was parked in front of my house. The other driver was nice enough to leave a note but, since my car was old, the repair would cost more than the value - so the insurance totaled my car. I walked away with about $1000 and paid for a "good enough" fix and drove it for about 5 more years...

Then, just last week, someone else hit me. The insurance adjuster will be visiting in a few hours and I'm sure it will play out like before. But this time I "get" to buy a new car. Not exactly the gift I was looking to get myself this year.

At least my ukes are tucked safely inside their cases right now!

Yikes, that is an expensive lesson. Oh well, those are the ones that you learn from.

Yikes, that is an expensive lesson. Oh well, those are the ones that you learn from.

Better to have crushed your "beater" than your Koaloha. But I understand your feeling of loss and disappointment. I am just glad you didn't hurt yourself worse.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear it!
This is exactly the reason I keep a dolphin in bed.

Yow! Scratches and dings for sure but nothing that catastrophic yet. The only "bright side" is like you say - at least it wasn't the Koaloha. :eek:

Sorry to hear, but good thing it wasn't the KoAloha as Jim said... :)

Top Bottom