Amp and Pedal Question

Samasm

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first time posting here but I've been playing ukulele for about 2 years now. I've finally got my first electro-acoustic uke (Luna Mahagony Tattoo) and I'm wondering what amplifier people have found success with?
I'm also interested in a couple pedals for it, especially a looper. I'm also interested in pedals that create that more clean guitar sound but I'm not too sure what to search for. Any help is greatly appreciated

A very popular looper is the Ditto, pretty easy to use, and great for practice, it's easy to lay down a track, then play over it, or add multi-layers with bass notes on uke, tapping on uke for drum sounds, etc. For a clean sound, The EHX Soul Food is a great pedal, I use with electric guitar, but it can work well with uke too as a clean boost. With gain turned down and volume up, as a clean boost, you get the same basic tone of your instrument, just more of it, $40-50 used. With guitar, you can turn up the gain for a nice overdrive.

Roland Microcube, it has multiple built in effects, (but no looper). :)

You won't get the sound of a steel string guitar from a nylon/fluorocarbon stringed uke, but you can have fun with some effects. :cool:

Loudbox Mini is a great amp - note that it is NOT battery powered, so you need mains power and it has an instrument and a mic channel, in case you might want to sing along.

A lot of this depends on your budget and what kind of use the gear will get.

For gigging the Fishman Loudbox amps are great, but my personal favourite is the Marshall AS50D.
https://www.thomann.de/gb/marshall_as50d.htm

My favourite Looper was the Jamman Stereo.
https://www.thomann.de/gb/digitech_jamman_stereo.htm

A good way to experiment with tone is a decent EQ pedal.
https://www.thomann.de/gb/boss_ge7_equalizer.htm

As Keith said, you won't get a steel string guitar sound from a uke - for a start the sustain just isn't there. You could use a sustain or drive pedal, but then you'd lose pretty much any acoustic vibe.

So question about the Roland microcube. I tried looking on Amazon to see if anyone answered my question and maybe its obvious if you already have one, but can you use multiple effects on it at the same time?

Roland Microcube, it has multiple built in effects, (but no looper). :)

You won't get the sound of a steel string guitar from a nylon/fluorocarbon stringed uke, but you can have fun with some effects. :cool:

Second the endorsement of the Roland. Fine little amp.

Thanks! Sounds like I might need me one of those. I may get a Roland Microcube but I'll still need extra pedals!

Kit

Welcome to the UU! You'll get good info here.

It's sounds like this is your first entry to be electrified. There are a lot of options so it's good to clarify what you are looking for in an amp. If you are looking for a clean guitar sound playing an acoustic instrument, then an acoustic amp. is what you want to look for. If you play electric instrument; electric amp. Loopers and pedals go between the instrument and the amp. Different amps have different effects so ensure you choose the ones you like.

I recently bought a Yamaha THR5A amp from recommendations here. It's super small, sounds very clean and weighs 5lbs. and sits on a shelf. I use it for gigs with a serious uke group. I can USB to my comp if needed. The speaker is small but is handling what I'm asking it to do. I'm amazed something this small can put out the clarity and volume it has. I'm sure it's the same with the other ones mentioned already.

I'm using it with a Chennel archtop baritone, K&K twin spot p/u with a volume control wheel and K&K preamp. Actually I sold it last night perhaps to look around to find something better. For my needs, this little Yamaha is perfect. The woman I sold it to, put it in her shopping bag with the rest of her gear and off she went. It's that portable.

The thread came at a good time; so far, I leaning on getting another 5A. Buying a Lehman lithium battery to go along with it really made it more efficient and portable. I used it over 5 hours and still had lots of battery left. Slides into the side pocket of a uke crazy case.

Yes, you'll need pedals to do anything the amp doesn't do. I guess it could be universal these days, but you can plug in an iPad or phone whatever and play along. Or use it with iPad and an extension cord to provide music for a barbecue - or just to "entertain" the neighbours.:cool:

Top Bottom