Making an old design bridge

Timbuck

Reaction score
As a side line while waiting for warmer weather to arrive I'm attempting making a few all metal guitar bridges...I'm due to start restoring a vintage 1959 Hofner guitar next year and it's fitted with a wrong type modern bridge ..the original solid brass bridge like the one in the pic got lost years ago...And a nice bloke on the Vintage Hofner Forum has sent me all the dimensions... and when the materials arrive I will see what I can do..There are a few similar bridges on the market but they are either not quite right or too expensive..May be a design like this would be ok for solid electric ukes :rolleyes: and what about that curved angular saddle area ?? thats going to fun machining that ;)
H bridge 3 by Ken Timms, on Flickr
H bridge 1 by Ken Timms, on Flickr

Last edited:
Just to set up for machining I made a "Mock up" out of hardwood ... I worked out a way to do the radius part using a jig on the spindle sander and disc sander and bandsaw..It should work on brass just as well.
aaPICT0007 by Ken Timms, on Flickr

Last edited:
That's looks like a pretty tall bridge. They must have a serious neck angle on that Hofner. Let's see it!

Top Bottom