Kamaka concert gift. Which pickup?

joshsimpson79

Reaction score
The family got me a used concert in pristine shape. Much better sound than my previous kala. I would enjoy a pickup, and am willing to spend a good amount for a better instrument than I've had before. What would you do?

FYI, I do have some experience with self installs. I put a k&k big island spot in a cheap kala once.

Last edited:
Definitely buy a pickup if you have your mind set on it. Make sure you get someone who is well trusted to do the installation. I don't know a lot about pickups but to my understanding Mi-Si pickups tend to be popular and of good quality. I don't know anything about these but I guess K&K are also good.

Ya gotta start with the passive or active pickup question. I like passive with the external DI. Less to go wrong inside that little body. K&K are great IMHO

I have used both passive, K&K, and active pickups,Misi and Baggs. I use a preamp so like the K&K for their simplicity. I also starting installing a K&K volume control wheel to be able to control the volume from the instrument rather than reaching for the preamp volume. They work great for switching between lead and rhythm.

Baggs are great P/U but reaching in the soundhole to change the battery is a slight hassle. The MISI is just a matter of charging up when needed. The K&K is simple; just hook up to a preamp. The K&K give a more natural sound.

Depending how much you plan on using a pickup, it may be more prudent to just use a microphone. I have P/U's on most of my instruments and very rarely use them. I play them more thru a microphone.

I've thought about this. Just using a mic while eventually getting an instrument just for gigs with a pickup, since I've grown a bit tied of my kala. Is there any sort of uke clip on type of mic?

perhaps check this one out, it certainly has a following on here in various threads. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1NgeCrpnMc

(I-rig acoustic stage)

yessir!

There is a big thread & discussion here from last year when the iRig Acoustic Stage came out. I use mine a lot still.

and also LOTS of info to help you regarding pickups in my FAQ via here

If you click on and read those links you can gain benefit from the previous discussions on this question. :)

Last edited:
I've heard of that but never paid much attention to it in the past. I'll have to do some research on that. Thanks so much, guys. You guys are great.

I've heard of that but never paid much attention to it in the past. I'll have to do some research on that. Thanks so much, guys. You guys are great.

Sure thing! :)

Be sure to read the thread linked above and the links on my FAQ page to learn about these topics, after which you will be able to make an educated purchase with your expectations set correctly.

Dont be afraid to keep asking questions - we are all here to help. :music:

yessir!

There is a big thread & discussion here from last year when the iRig Acoustic Stage came out. I use mine a lot still.

and also LOTS of info to help you regarding pickups in my FAQ via here

If you click on and read those links you can gain benefit from the previous discussions on this question. :)

The big thread from last year seems to be a dead link. Post again please?

Nevermind. I think I found it. I'm probably going to request one of these for my birthday.

Last edited:
The big thread from last year seems to be a dead link. Post again please?

Nevermind. I think I found it. I'm probably going to request one of these for my birthday.

Ok thanks for the heads-up.

Sorry, somehow there was an extra 'http://' at the start of the link so it was like 'http://http://', but fixed now - maybe you can try again if not already.

anyway - this is a great product and solves/fixes issues that are present with other pickups or mics, AND is also a recording interface via USB :)

Hey Booli. Does the iRig have a practical use or benefit when used with an active pick-up like a MiSi? By this I mean plugging the pick-up directly into the iRig controller with a patch cord of some sort, not using both iRig mic & pick-up at the same time. I know you talked about it being useful with a passive pick-up. Does it still act as a preamp to control tone & volume? Just wondering if I should keep my iRig or not now that I have a MiSi pick-up?

Hey Booli. Does the iRig have a practical use or benefit when used with an active pick-up like a MiSi? By this I mean plugging the pick-up directly into the iRig controller with a patch cord of some sort, not using both iRig mic & pick-up at the same time. I know you talked about it being useful with a passive pick-up. Does it still act as a preamp to control tone & volume? Just wondering if I should keep my iRig or not now that I have a MiSi pick-up?

Yes to all.

You can still use the iRig Acoustic Stage with an active pickup such as the MiSi going into the aux input of the iRig's preamp.

You have the option of using the iRig's included mic or the MiSi alone and there is a balance control on the iRig's preamp to control the relative volume of each, and you can also NOT use the iRig's mic and just use the MiSi alone with the iRig preamp and it works fine.

The benefit of using the iRig's preamp AND the MiSi, is that you get a volume control, as well as the EQ profiles, AND the feeback suppression of the iRig preamp unit.

You would hook up the output of the MiSi to the aux input of the iRig preamp using a short patch cord, of ~2ft, which are commonly available for use when connecting a series of pedals together.

I've done all the above myself and enjoy the control and variable tone possibilities when combining the MiSi with the iRig preamp, whether simultaneously using the iRig's soundhole mic or not.

Typically I will clip the iRig preamp either to my strap, my belt or onto a front pants pocket (if standing).

Connecting it all together, you would then use the OUTPUT of the iRig preamp to go to your amp or PA which will then carry ALL of the input signals summed together and mixed as per the preamp settings.

Since you already have the iRig kit, if you spend ~$8 for a 3-pack of 2 ft patch cords (they are usually sold in a pack) you can test out all the options and decide for yourself with little cost and no hassles to see if it works for you.

I would not get shorter than a 2ft patch cord since shorter may not be long enough for you to connect everything and hang/hold the uke and preamp in a comfortable manner.

Also if you get a cord that has a right-angle plug at both ends (instead of the straight plugs, either way should be same price), it will be easier to manage and also to conceal the wires instead of looking like some kind of robot with all kinds of wires sticking out from your MiSi and the preamp.

Hope this helps! :)

@ RafterGirl

The right angle patch cord looks something like this:

94471.jpg

via: https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=115&cp_id=11509&cs_id=1150901&p_id=9447&seq=1&format=2

Thanks Booli. That little iRig is so multi-functional.

Oops....spoke too soon. I just tried it with a shorter (10 ft.) cable that I have and it didn't work. Is patch cable different than regular cable?
I hooked 10 ft. cable into MiSi, then into the 1/4 Aux on the iRig, then audio cable from iRig to amp. Powered on the iRig and the amp. Adjusted the volume & mix dials on the iRig up & down. Nada.....no sound from the amp.

Last edited:
Thanks Booli. That little iRig is so multi-functional.

Oops....spoke too soon. I just tried it with a shorter (10 ft.) cable that I have and it didn't work. Is patch cable different than regular cable?
I hooked 10 ft. cable into MiSi, then into the 1/4 Aux on the iRig, then audio cable from iRig to amp. Powered on the iRig and the amp. Adjusted the volume & mix dials on the iRig up & down. Nada.....no sound from the amp.

Did you remember to TURN ON the iRig preamp?

Also, as Keith said, is the MiSi charged up? If not 60 seconds with the wall plug should sort it out.

Also #2, you can see if the batteries are flat in the preamp by elminating the MiSi for a moment, and trying the iRig's little mic and see if sound comes out of your amp, but start with VOLUME LOW or you will get squealing feedback if everything was turned up too high and you are sitting right in front of the amp.

Ringing in the ears is no joke and the result of having such loud feedback piercing into your brain, but thankfully it will dissipate if only occurring infrequently...

Yes, the iRig was on. Once I turned the Gain & Volume up on the amp (Blackstar Fly) it worked. I wonder if the length of my patch cable have something do with it? It's also a pretty cheapo cable. Anyhoo.......It's working. It's fun to play with the tone. So far warm or warm nylon are my favs. Natural sounds pretty good as well.

Yes, the iRig was on. Once I turned the Gain & Volume up on the amp (Blackstar Fly) it worked. I wonder if the length of my patch cable have something do with it? It's also a pretty cheapo cable. Anyhoo.......It's working. It's fun to play with the tone. So far warm or warm nylon are my favs. Natural sounds pretty good as well.

I'm glad you got it going.

Cable length for a 'guitar cable' should not effect tone (or output level) until you go over 15 ft in length due to the capacitance of copper in the cable, and if a cheap cable they usually use thinner wire inside, which can make the problem worse and/or happen with shorter cables, but such would not make the sound silent, just lower in volume and maybe pickup interference from nearby motors or electronics or have a bad hum which is usually because the 'ground connection' inside the wire is spotty.

Without a solid ground connection, hum and other nasty sounds can happen.

Most circuits, whether audio or electrical have inside at least 1 wire for carrying the signal, and 1 other wire for ground or 'earth' and both are requred as a minimum for carrying the electrons along the wire from one end to the other.

Top Bottom