Looking for a luthier near Pittsburgh,PA

jjdejd

Reaction score
Need the nut replaced on my Kala KA-ASOV-S. It is recessed into the headstock or I would attempt it myself. Thanks

Which size is your nut? 36x5mm, 35x 5mm or 36x 3.5mm?

I think you can find exactly same size nut as your Kala in the Internet.

We can easily remove the nuts by thumb. We don't need hammer to remove them. Then we just need to shave the bottom with sandpaper in order to set up action. Shave is not much, because most factory setting is as it is.

I could not find same nut and saddle for my Ibanez guitalele. With a little help from booli, I could find them in eBay Ireland and Aliexpress China.

Which size is your nut? 36x5mm, 35x 5mm or 36x 3.5mm?

I think you can find exactly same size nut as your Kala in the Internet.

We can easily remove the nuts by thumb. We don't need hammer to remove them. Then we just need to shave the bottom with sandpaper in order to set up action. Shave is not much, because most factory setting is as it is.

I could not find same nut and saddle for my Ibanez guitalele. With a little help from booli, I could find them in eBay Ireland and Aliexpress China.

I think I located one a while back, but when I looked at the uke, it is setting down in a channel. Also, the uke has a gloss finish and I feel if I removed it, the end result would probably show it was replaced by a rookie. Lol. I would hope a luthier can redo the gloss around the headstock

Found a stock photo. 8A1CEE63-DD53-4994-B3E1-97098EBBE7AC.jpg

Attachments

• AAA87428-616A-4ACE-BE75-AD3815C8F5AD.jpeg
    AAA87428-616A-4ACE-BE75-AD3815C8F5AD.jpeg
    7.4 KB · Views: 35
Hi, jjdejd!

I think your decision is right and local luthiers are great help in any means. But just in case you are brave enough to explore around your Kala before hand it to a luthier, you can remove your nut by your thumb. I don't normally glue the nuts on my ukuleles and guitars. I know your decision is right and I just say it for fun. Because I enjoy set up my ukulele and guitars by myself. It is a part of my ukulele hobby. :)

Thanks, maybe I’ll take another look at it. Should I score it with a razor?

One other detail, when I got the uke, the C string was not sitting properly in the slot. It had a dull sound. I bought a set of files and lightly filed it, but it doesn’t sound much better. That is the main reason I want someone to take a look at it. Thanks

Hi, jjdejd!

Remove nut is very easy on ukulele and guitars. Because nuts and saddle are disposable parts.

Just push it like the figure below. We don't hurt the finish. You don't need glue it back, we can use it without glue.

Thanks, maybe I’ll take another look at it. Should I score it with a razor?

Yes, this is STANDARD practice with a gloss finish. Otherwise you will remove and likely chip the finish around the nut.

StewMac has tutorial videos on their web site, and you will find LOTS AND LOTS of tutorial videos on YouTube on how to do this.

It's not rocket science, but does require some finesse and careful attention to what you are doing.

Also, if the nut is in a slot, you would tap it out from the side by placing a screwdriver at the nut's edge and then a few gentle taps with a hammer, of course AFTER scoring it with a razor, exacto or utility knife.

if it is in a slot, and you try to remove it from the bridge side, either by gouging/prying it out or tapping it out with a hammer, you are likely to break the wood that is betw the nut and the tuner shafts. DONT do this, do it from the side.

EDIT: I hope you see this comment before trying to do as ZZTUSH has advised, for that may in fact DAMAGE your uke.

You would do well to watch some YT videos first.

Last edited:
Hi, jjdejd!

One other detail, when I got the uke, the C string was not sitting properly in the slot. It had a dull sound. I bought a set of files and lightly filed it, but it doesn’t sound much better. That is the main reason I want someone to take a look at it. Thanks

Yes local luthiers are great help for that kind of set up. But you wanted to fix it by yourself. If you still want to fix it by yourself, you can swap the nuts. We don't file the slot, because it is made properly in factory, we just shave the bottom. It is easy and revert it by spare nuts. Set up is a part of my ukulele hobby. I know many people do not like set up.

Thanks booli. I may be wrong.

No worries - you pics and instructions are still good for when the nut is not in any kind of slot, and just against the end of the fretboard, like most are.

I just wanted to cover all bases so he did not hurt is uke, so it's all good by me. Thanks for the good diagrams and helpful explanations. :)

Need the nut replaced on my Kala KA-ASOV-S. It is recessed into the headstock or I would attempt it myself. Thanks

I live in Morgantown WV, about an hour drive to Pittsburgh. A few months ago I too was looking for a luthier in Pittsburgh. Came up empty for a ukulele luthier. However Pittsburgh Guitar in house luthier Scott is a knowledgeable guy about fretted instruments. He did some work on my near 20 year old Soprano, fixed a complicated problem with simple solution, only charged $15 dollars for his work plus the cost of a new set of strings. Very reasonable, I am pleased with his work. Friendly bunch of people working in the store. Contact them.

Pittsburgh Guitars
1305 East Carson Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15203

Pittsburghguitars.com

Hope it helps.

I live in Morgantown WV, about an hour drive to Pittsburgh. A few months ago I too was looking for a luthier in Pittsburgh. Came up empty for a ukulele luthier. However Pittsburgh Guitar in house luthier Scott is a knowledgeable guy about fretted instruments. He did some work on my near 20 year old Soprano, fixed a complicated problem with simple solution, only charged $15 dollars for his work plus the cost of a new set of strings. Very reasonable, I am pleased with his work. Friendly bunch of people working in the store. Contact them.

Pittsburgh Guitars
1305 East Carson Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15203

Pittsburghguitars.com

Hope it helps.

Thank you
I go to Pittsburgh quite often. I must check them out.

Pittsburgh Guitars
1305 East Carson Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15203

Pittsburghguitars.com

Hope it helps.

Thanks, I’ll give them a call.

Top Bottom