Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a luthier near Pittsburgh,PA

Hi, jjdejd!

Quote Originally Posted by jjdejd View Post
    One other detail, when I got the uke, the C string was not sitting properly in the slot. It had a dull sound. I bought a set of files and lightly filed it, but it doesnít sound much better. That is the main reason I want someone to take a look at it. Thanks
    Yes local luthiers are great help for that kind of set up. But you wanted to fix it by yourself. If you still want to fix it by yourself, you can swap the nuts. We don't file the slot, because it is made properly in factory, we just shave the bottom. It is easy and revert it by spare nuts. Set up is a part of my ukulele hobby. I know many people do not like set up.
    Kamaka HF-1 100

Thanks booli. I may be wrong.
    Kamaka HF-1 100

Quote Originally Posted by zztush View Post
    Thanks booli. I may be wrong.
    No worries - you pics and instructions are still good for when the nut is not in any kind of slot, and just against the end of the fretboard, like most are.

I just wanted to cover all bases so he did not hurt is uke, so it's all good by me. Thanks for the good diagrams and helpful explanations.
    Just the FAQs __________Less > more.__________Serenity now, insanity later.

Thanks, I think I’ll try to find a luthier.
    Collings UC2
    LoPrinzi Custom Mahogany Model A - Concert / Peghed tuners / radius fretboard
    Kala KA-ACP-CTG
    Kala KA-SCG
    Kala KA-ASOV-S

Need the nut replaced on my Kala KA-ASOV-S. It is recessed into the headstock or I would attempt it myself. Thanks
    I live in Morgantown WV, about an hour drive to Pittsburgh. A few months ago I too was looking for a luthier in Pittsburgh. Came up empty for a ukulele luthier. However Pittsburgh Guitar in house luthier Scott is a knowledgeable guy about fretted instruments. He did some work on my near 20 year old Soprano, fixed a complicated problem with simple solution, only charged $15 dollars for his work plus the cost of a new set of strings. Very reasonable, I am pleased with his work. Friendly bunch of people working in the store. Contact them.

Pittsburgh Guitars
    1305 East Carson Street
    Pittsburgh, PA 15203

Pittsburghguitars.com

Hope it helps.
    Tenor:
    Mya Moe Classic Koa #2052

Concert:
    Hoffmann ML Style Cedar/Ebony, LoPrinzi Nova MS-C Mahogany/Spruce, , Knaile'a KPA C Premium Koa, Kiwaya KMC-K Koa, Pono RC-C-PC Cedar/Rosewood, Kala Waterman KA CWB Green

Long Neck Soprano:
    KoAloha KSM-02 Koa

Soprano:
    Lanikai LU-21 Laminate Mahogany (My Very First Uke!), Kamaka Pineapple 100th Anniversary Koa, Maui Music SK-41 "Pre-Fire" Koa, Romero Creations XS Soprano Spalted Mango, Ohana SK 50G Cedar/Rosewood, Zimnicki Soprano Koa

Thanks, I think Iíll try to find a luthier.
    Probably your best bet. Better to be safe.

A quick search finds
    http://www.pittsburghguitars.com/repair_guitars.php

http://acousticmusicworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lapyang View Post
    I live in Morgantown WV, about an hour drive to Pittsburgh. A few months ago I too was looking for a luthier in Pittsburgh. Came up empty for a ukulele luthier. However Pittsburgh Guitar in house luthier Scott is a knowledgeable guy about fretted instruments. He did some work on my near 20 year old Soprano, fixed a complicated problem with simple solution, only charged $15 dollars for his work plus the cost of a new set of strings. Very reasonable, I am pleased with his work. Friendly bunch of people working in the store. Contact them.

Pittsburgh Guitars
    1305 East Carson Street
    Pittsburgh, PA 15203

Pittsburghguitars.com

Hope it helps.
    Thank you
    I go to Pittsburgh quite often. I must check them out.
    Brenda

Please participate in our Mike Lynch tribute thread :
    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...Tribute-Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Lapyang View Post

Pittsburgh Guitars
    1305 East Carson Street
    Pittsburgh, PA 15203

Pittsburghguitars.com

Hope it helps.
    Thanks, I’ll give them a call.
    Collings UC2
    LoPrinzi Custom Mahogany Model A - Concert / Peghed tuners / radius fretboard
    Kala KA-ACP-CTG
    Kala KA-SCG
    Kala KA-ASOV-S

Quote Originally Posted by SoloRule View Post
    Thank you
    I go to Pittsburgh quite often. I must check them out.
    They only carry about a dozen ukuleles in the store. Mostly entry level. It is mainly a Guitar store.

Thread Information