Season 307 - One A Day!!

After yesterdays well received debut of the duet team of AlanDP and I(Partners in rhyme), today I offer another duet, that of Lynda(bird's eye view of my ukulele) and I, and this is Lynda actually singing a country song!! She was a very good sport about this, and a big help, she did all the technical stuff for me, cause I have no clue how to do it, and she managed to perform this in her own inimitable style. I hope you folks enjoy it, I sure did. Thanks Lynda!

After a bit of rummaging around my flat for a spare G string I remember having put 'somewhere' from a couple of years ago, I finally found it albeit a Low G but It'll do until I get to Southern Ukes tomorrow.........Phew, still on track with entry No. 3 ...........

Water of Tyne is a traditional song from North East England. The photos in my video were taken along the lower reaches of the Tyne,more info on YT. The moon that crosses the video early on is this January's full moon, the "Wolf Moon" (well not quite as there is a second full moon in January this year on the 31st - a "Blue Moon"). It was unusually large this year as the moon was at its closest approach to earth for many years. I was lucky that the skies were clear last night and I could get some good photos.

I have recently changed my Fluke to low G and it sounds really good finger picked. I added some harmonica as well.

thanks for hosting the week, Keith
a song we learnt from Pete Seeger :)

A month or so ago, someone I know in real life (not by the internet) was talking about this song, so I went and listened to it and thought it would make a good ukulele song. It has a couple of unusual but not difficult chords.

Today's practice was with the metronome. I planned to post a recording with it but the metronome couldn't keep up so I had to fire it!
Incidentally, I have used a different uke in each vid so far.
This is my Redwood Boathouse Uke #20 that I won here in season 175, made by Doug Frink who has been missing from the seasons for too long. His ukes are a delight. You may have noticed there is about (5?) of us that have one.

It's Malvina time!!!

Tuesday evening here.
On the plus side, here's a Malvina Reynolds song I haven't done here.
On the minus side, ... I do it. (my way)

SOTU 307: WATCH HOW THE SAND FLOWS - Original Song by Dennis Danner

I've done this song before for the Seasons, but it has definitely been a work in progress! It has probably been my most troublesome song yet with respect to rewrites! I first drafted it with a 1st person, female, point of view and titled it; "Gaze Into This Hourglass." The subject is a metaphor and still is, but it is now written in the 3rd person POV, and serves as a "warning song" probably most applicable to a father and son.

This was a good exercise for me to push further into the new software, and try both multiple cameras and later multi-tracking with Evelyn adding the cajon via the voice over feature in Final Cut Pro.

I hope you enjoy, "WATCH HOW THE SAND FLOWS," or as I often call it, "Hourglass."

=== Chords and Lyrics in Chordpro Format ========
{title: WATCH HOW THE SANDS FLOW - 3rdPerson - Dennis Danner (2017)}
{st: (Last edited: 10.22.2017; dad)}

Intro:
| [G] / / / / | [Em] / / / / | [C] / / / / | [G] / / / / | [G] / / / / |
(Gaze in - to this hour glass, to watch how the sands flow . . . . . . . )

Verse 1:
Don't you | [Am] lay down! . . | [Am] No, . don't you | [C] lay down! . . | [C] . . . Don't |
| [C] lay down be - | [Am]side her? Don't | [Em] lay down in her | [Am] bed! . If you |
| [F] lay down a - long | [F] side her, she will | [E] bind you to her | [E7] web! . Don't you |

Verse 2:
| [Am] let her, . . | [Am] . No, don't you | [C] let her . . | [C] . . . . |
| [C] Wrap her legs a - | [Am]round you, to | [Em] hold you oh so | [Am] tight . . Her |
| [F] legs so long and | [F] strong, . will | [E] take your life to - | [E7] night! . Don't you |

{soc}
Chorus:
| [G] look into her | [Em] eyes so deep, you will | [C] feel your life blood | [G] slow . . Don't |
| [Em] gaze into her | [G] hourglass, to | [C] watch how the sands | [G] flow! . . . |
| [G] . . . . | [Em] . . . to | [C] Watch how the sands | [G] flow! . . . | [G] . . . . |
{eoc}

Verse 3:
| [Am] If you, . . | [Am] . . I say | [C] if you, . . | [C] . . if you |
| [C] look into her | [Am] eyes tonight, you will | [Em] know the hunger she | [Am] feels. . If you |
| [F] join with her in | [F] bed tonight, | [E] You'll be her next | [E7] meal! . . . |

Verse 4:
| [Am] Don't you! . . | [Am] . . Oh No, | [C] Don't you ! . . | [C] . . . . |
| [C] Don't misjudge her | [Am] na - ture! To make | [Em] love is not her | [Am] goal. . She merely |
| [F] needs your life with - | [F] in her, to | [E] sa - tis - fy her | [E7] soul! . Don't you |

{soc}
Chorus:
| [G] look into those | [Em] eyes so deep, you will | [C] feel your life blood | [G] slow . . . |
Don't | [Em] gaze into her | [G] hourglass, to | [C] watch how the sands | [G] flow! . . . |
| [G] . . . . | [Em] . . . to | [C] Watch how the sands | [G] flow! . . . | [G] . . . . |
{eoc}

Outro:
| [Em] . . . . | [C] Watch how that sands | [G] flow! . . . | [G] . . . . | [G] ~

Last edited:
Day 3 brings an invitation . . . I believe this song was written by Benny Burle Galloway, but I think the Infamous String Dusters have brought more attention to it with their version.

A little tune from the 1930s, "Helmi" by Raimond Valgre

Here's a song I love, that I'd sort of forgotten about. I kinda worked this up awhile back, and the few times I did it for people, it always got a good response. I stumbled across it on Youtube the other day while looking for something else, and decided to dust it off for this week. I need to keep it in my rotation.

Red Sails in the sunset (SOTU 307 Fats Domino Ukulele cover)

Fats Domino song.

Top Bottom