Romanian Cobza I just finished building

Dusepo

Reaction score
Here's a Romanian Cobza I just finished building.
All spruce, cherry and ash.

d8njZYb.jpg

beautiful! Found this video, it looks like it's played with a stick:

I was just thinking it looks like an oud. It kinda sounds like one too. Nice job on your build.

super cool. I've never seen one of these before. How is it tuned?

I'm pleased that you have started posting your instruments here on the forum, it's good to see what others make, especially when it's something a little different.

I hope it inspires others to try something different too. It's also interesting to hear something new.

Here's a sound sample!

The shorter scale length vs oud which is my main fretless experience and the fact the strings are still settling in tune makes it a bit out of tune in places, but you get the idea.

Here's a sound sample!

The shorter scale length vs oud which is my main fretless experience and the fact the strings are still settling in tune makes it a bit out of tune in places, but you get the idea.

I love the sound of this. Thanks for posting. I didn't realize it was fretless - very cool indeed. Thanks for sharing

I love the sound of this. Thanks for posting. I didn't realize it was fretless - very cool indeed. Thanks for sharing

Thanks! (or as they say in Romanian, mulțumesc!)
Fretted versions do exist, but they are much less common. The fretted version was invented during Soviet times and is more common today in Moldavia than Romania.

Top Bottom