Hawaiian concert for playing Troy Fernandez style

El Viejo

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm wondering if you have any recommendations for a K-brand level concert to track down that would naturally lend itself to playing high G Troy Fernandez style (lots of picking, banjo style rolls, etc.). Doesn't have to be a Hawaiian uke or a K-brand strictly, or even koa necessarily, I just lean in that direction.

Here's a video showing my inspiration.

I currently have a Kanile'a and a couple Ko'alohas so I kind of lean toward ukes with a livelier tone, rather than something more subdued and classic. I'm guessing that may still the way to go here, especially as Troy played for Kanile'a for a while I think.

I wouldn't mind trying something new though. I'm not sure what he is playing in the video, which is the uke he seems to gig with quite a bit, and has a really nice tone.

Any recommendations for ukes you have or you've played that would be worth tracking down to test out? Or do you think I need to go tenor to get that sound, even?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I think he plays a Sonny D.
I have played Ka'au Crater Boys stuff -- on a KoAloha and my Moore Bettah. I play a super-concert.

There is a 2002 all koa KoAloha concert for sale in the marketplace forum right now. I have a 2006 all koa KoAloha concert that I love. Super lively, and a joy to play.

...to get that sound...

Keep in mind that at least 50% of the sound is also due to the pickup he is using in combination with whatever amplification, and by the crowd noise in the background it sounds like this was the on-camera mic and not clean direct from the PA mixer.

Having said that, the pickup being used sounds a lot more like a surface transducer such as a K&K instead of an under-saddle unit like the LR Baggs Five.0 or the MiSi on account that the under-saddle units tend to have a more plasticky and 'compressed' tone and his uke is more typical of the 'woody' and 'airy' tone from a surface transducer.

Not sure what uke he has there, but it looks more like a Kamaka HB-2D Ohta-San by it's shape yet with different markings, most notably the sound-hole rosette...

If he has a web site or Facebook page, maybe you can send him a note, including the link to this video, and ask him what he is playing and what pickup is in that uke, as well as the signal chain to the PA. Otherwise, by guessing you could just be chasing ghosts and spending lots of time and money fiddling with disappointments.

Top Bottom