Feedback on some resources...(Worship Hits)

UkeStuff

Reaction score
I’m not sure where to put this question, but it doesn’t quite fit in the Song Help or Tab forums...so I’ll post this issue here.

I am looking at a couple of ukulele books that are worship books...Hal Leonard’s Worship Hits for Ukulele and Alfred’s 2015 Worship Hits for Ukulele.

I’m not looking to open a religious debate here (please don’t go there), but my local music store doesn’t have either of these books (I looked) and Amazon doesn’t give a preview of the songs (or a song). The HL book is on iBooks, but the preview stops before presenting any music.

I’m wondering if anyone on UU has these books, and if you can tell me if they are lead sheets (showing traditional notation melody with chords, like the Daily Ukulele/Yellow Book), chord charts (text only with chords, like ukutabs.com), or tablature?

I have also looked online to see if these books are out there on the interwebs...but they aren’t. So any place I would normally preview a book has come up short.

I have asked my church (a larger multi-site church) if I could start a ukulele small group dedicated to hymns and praise & worship music (waiting to hear back about an OK to do it) and would like to start, at least, with existing materials. I prefer lead sheets (I read music) to chord charts, and can transcribe...but it is nice to have materials to go off of in what should already be ukulele friendly keys. I’ll probably end up buying both books anyway...but I thought I would ask first.

Thanks for any feedback you might have about the books.

I’m not looking to open a religious debate here (please don’t go there)

Concert vs Tenor
High G vs Low G
Fishing Line vs Ukulele Strings
Hardwood vs Softwood
Ook vs Yook

I think you're right... we have plenty of religious debate on this site already.

This is from Alfred's Site. It shows the format. Hopefully it does not have a form of geo-locking.

https://content.alfred.com/catpages/00-44706.pdf

Thanks, Bill. That is exactly what I needed. Looks like Alfred didn’t necessarily put songs into ukulele keys (or ukulele/singer friendly keys)...which is an issue for churches as a whole (most men can’t sing at the ranges of the tenor artists who make all the CCM recordings.

Can I ask what portal that came through. I searched on Alfred’s site and this didn’t pop up for me...or anywhere in the top 100 or so links that I had searched on Duck Duck Go and Google.

I’m a little gun shy about this. Last year I bought some ukulele books sight unseen and one of the (Ukulele: the Most Requested Songs) just had chord sheets. If I don’t know a song (very likely), it is just so inefficient to have to go back and listen to it a number of times to learn it when I can look at the traditional notation of the melody AND listen to it once and basically have it.

I know there are people out there who can hear things once and memorize them. That isn’t me!

Concert vs Tenor
High G vs Low G
Fishing Line vs Ukulele Strings
Hardwood vs Softwood
Ook vs Yook

I think you're right... we have plenty of religious debate on this site already.

I’m still shaken by the strong emotions over the thread regarding KoAloha’s religious themed headstock. We say ukulele people are happy...clearly not all the time and massively not so when we discuss issues about religion....

So I truly am asking that this thread stay away from that!

Ask your music director if they have a subscription to Song Select: https://songselect.ccli.com
If they do, they probably already have a lot of material they could give you. Or you could go online and look at the lead sheets, check for keys and vocal ranges, etc.

I’m still shaken by the strong emotions over the thread regarding KoAloha’s religious themed headstock. We say ukulele people are happy...clearly not all the time and massively not so when we discuss issues about religion....

So I truly am asking that this thread stay away from that!

Just some humor to disarm Joe Internet in case he takes your request as a challenge. It is true that we "happy ukulele people" get pretty damn worked up over ukulele sometimes.

I have no input on the books, but wanted to add that if you (or anybody) want to find hymns, hymnary.org is an excellent and huge online resource. There are high resolution scans from many hymnals, and lots of MIDI files available as well, which you can just download into your notation software to easily transpose, edit, arrange or whatever to your heart's content. I use it a lot for my church's worship ensemble.

bratsche

Top Bottom