Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Silk/steel strings... HUH?!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oahu Isle, Hawaii
    Posts
    202

    Default Silk/steel strings... HUH?!

    I have been buying guitar strings for a while but I never heard of silk/steel strings until today. It seems they enable a "warmer" sound BUT -- don't they break rather easily? And will they work on an acoustic-electric when played electric?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    over yonder...
    Posts
    5,894

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bellgamin View Post
    I have been buying guitar strings for a while but I never heard of silk/steel strings until today. It seems they enable a "warmer" sound BUT -- don't they break rather easily? And will they work on an acoustic-electric when played electric?
    I've been seeing those as well. Martin has some sets.

    As long as they have nickel or steel in their composition they should be fine with magnetic pickups.

    Strings made with bronze will also work with magnetic pickups, but will have a lower output volume and in fact sound warmer to me. Some die-hard players say the bronze strings are dull, but tons of acoustic players have a magnetic pickup mounted in the soundhole and use the bronze strings and I've not seen too many complaints.

    If your acoustic instrument has any kind of piezo pickup, whether undersaddle or surface transducer (or even a tiny mic inside), the strings themselves will not be a deciding factor if the amplified sound 'works' since those kinds of pickups really have nothing to do with the string media itself.

    Having said that, I rarely play all steel strings these days, so I've not tried them yet, so cant yet speak to their longevity.
    Last edited by Booli; 01-01-2018 at 05:35 AM.
    Just the FAQs __________Less > more.__________Serenity now, insanity later.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Pickering, ON, Canada
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    I have used them and like them for a warmer sound and less tension. Realize the trebles a steel as every other set. The wounds have a thin steel core with silk wrapping over the steel core then aluminum wound over that. So they do not break any easier than standard acoustic strings.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oahu Isle, Hawaii
    Posts
    202

    Default

    10Q very much! I have ordered 3 sets. I enjoy trying new kinds of strings.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Port Hope, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    509

    Default

    Silk & Steel are not a new thing. In the sixties they were called "a folk set" for some reason. I've also heard them called "Compound strings".

    A couple of decades ago my wife tried them on her 1921 O-18, but found that they go dead very quickly and don't have a very bright tone to begin with.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Port Hueneme, CA
    Posts
    2,444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Yates View Post
    Silk & Steel are not a new thing. In the sixties they were called "a folk set" for some reason. I've also heard them called "Compound strings".

    A couple of decades ago my wife tried them on her 1921 O-18, but found that they go dead very quickly and don't have a very bright tone to begin with.
    I believe they were developed for folkies during the sixties so their nylon strung guitars could be switched.
    Keep Strummin'

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oahu Isle, Hawaii
    Posts
    202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Yates View Post
    ...
    A couple of decades ago my wife tried them on her 1921 O-18, but found that they go dead very quickly and don't have a very bright tone to begin with.
    Hopefully they have been impoved during those "couple of decades".

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Port Hope, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bellgamin View Post
    Hopefully they have been impoved during those "couple of decades".
    I hope so. Pease let us know Bellgamin.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •