27 19.57%
  • Concert

43 31.16%
  • Tenor

54 39.13%
  • Baritone

14 10.14%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite scale uke? 2018 edition.

Quote Originally Posted by KamakOzzie View Post
    Funny you should say that Steve. I'm liking the 16" scale on the Ohta-San that I got from you.

That wasn't in the poll though.
    I miss it!

The poll seems to be stacking up as I would have expected.

40% Tenor
    30% Concert
    20% Soprano
    10% Baritone
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.
    Formerly known as uke1950.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sheehan View Post
    I would have to go with soprano. All the scale sizes have their nice attributes, of course, but I like the challenge of standing (or sitting) there with nothing but that little soprano, so "minimalist", and making it "work" with whatever songs I can come up with that fit my ever-declining vocal range (usually songs I grew up loving during the sixties and seventies).
    Definitely agree. I play entire sets on a soprano and just ordered a custom soprano uke with a wide 1.5" nut ...good for classical tunes, campanella style, chord melody jazz standards and clawhammer. No stretch , no stress.....just cool.

sometimes I really wonder how much of these, is
    "I know what I like"
    vs
    "I like what I know"

When I first started on tenor, sometimes I would wonder about if I should be playing concert because some of the fingering I wanted was a stretch especially at first position.
    But now my left hand index and pinky can span almost an inch wider than my right hand, and I don't feel that shorter would be better, and playing up the neck more.. makes the stretch pretty much moot.

People say that it's a hand size issue.. but then we see videos of tiny kids shredding the crap out of a tenor, and full adult men shredding on micro ukes, which stands in direct opposition to hands to small, or space too cramped.

But... one thing that is definite... a longer scale has more sustain, and maintains tone better up the neck.

For me, it all starts with what I want to hear.... low tones, check..... sustain, absolutely..... a wide good-sounding working range, yes, as I am all over the fretboard.

That's why I like baritone. And I'm a woman with small hands, so I have to make it happen, somehow. It means my left hand, besides being flexible, is constantly moving, seldom in the same place for long.... so that even when playing a single chord, I sometimes have to slide my hand up midway through it, to catch the treble notes.

We do what we must with what we have.

bratsche
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

I finally voted and chose baritone. Though my second choice, and I wish we could have picked two, is surely tenor. I do prefer the deeper timbre of the baritone, and being a guitar player I like the longer scale length. However, I'm currently in the market for an eight string tenor to tune in mandola tuning

I've not voted partly because it doesn't show up on the mobile version I'm on just now,and partly because I'm not sure.

I started on soprano and for a long time resisted getting a tenor and it was only when I tuned one dGBE I felt it had something to offer. Now I'm mostly playing my 6 & 8 string tenors and like the extra fullness they have so my sopranos have been somewhat neglected. My one concert is definitely neglected. I've only fairly recently got a baritone and I like it. It did take me longer to adjust to than the other scales, though.

I no longer feel I have a preferred size. They all have their qualities.

A thought:
    Long neck soprano = small body concert
    Long neck concert = small body tenor
    Long neck tenor = small body baritone

Should we define them by scale length rather than body size? Then what do you call those of intermediate scale length?

Just a thought.
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

Apart from what has become established, i.e. long neck & super, those being designations of the next scale up on any one particular body size, we usually go by scale length.

That is because it is the most important aspect to the player, (i.e. how far you have to move your fingers on the fretboard).

I now prefer to call my 'misfits' small bodied tenors.

I think I should also refer to my RISA solids (tenor & concert) as travel ukes.
    Last edited by Croaky Keith; 01-09-2018 at 11:30 PM.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.
    Formerly known as uke1950.

When I started playing, I was really into tenors. But now I'm gravitating towards sopranos, I really like the traditional punchy sound it has. put in some low g's and i can play all day. But i really like all the sizes.

I put "favorite scale" specifically because it would've been harder to label some of the other not so common uke sizes and shapes and scale mixes. I guess I could've put an "other" category to catch them all.

Someone mentioned they'd switch their vote from concert to soprano if they could. I think I'd switch mine from soprano to concert now, so that balances out.

I was thinking in the last one of these types of surveys I saw that the concert won out. Looks like there isn't a huge difference between that and tenor right now though.

I selected for the poll to close in 30 days from the start I think. I'm not sure why I did that, but it would make more sense to leave it open longer. I'm not sure if that can be changed now or not...maybe by a mod.
    Last edited by jer; 01-15-2018 at 03:15 PM.
    <><

Thread Information