Beah Hannam "Grand Selmer" Tenor

Yes, a whole step (F-Bb-D-G). To me, all of my tenors sound better Bb than C. My Farallon sounds best at B. Many tenors have a natural body resonance that is close to a C, so can sound muddy there. Southcoast Strings has a lot of great info on this: http://southcoastukes.com/ti-tuningyouruke01.htm

Linear means the 4th string is lower than the third string, as opposed to re-entrant when the third string is the lowest note. If tuned C, people call linear tuning "Low G".

I'd encourage you to experiment on your tenors and see what you think.

Thanks. I am a ukulele novice so I only own one tenor that plays in tune. I tried out the Bb6 tuning on that tenor (re entrant) and I noticed two things right away: more mid range sound and barre chords were much easier up and down the fretboard. I do like it.

Thanks. I am a ukulele novice so I only own one tenor that plays in tune. I tried out the Bb6 tuning on that tenor (re entrant) and I noticed two things right away: more mid range sound and barre chords were much easier up and down the fretboard. I do like it.

Yes, as you noted about the tone, another added benefit (for some, myself included) is lower (but not floppy) tension.

Eddie, that is one hell of a review! And, having received my BH at the same time as you did, I believe every word.

I wish I had the mental capacity right now to write my own but my treatments have been sucking my IQ and vocabulary out of my brain. But then again I could get away with saying I was left speechless by the quality, tone and play-ability of my BH Tenor and that would be the truth also.

Congratulations, Eddie! What a special instrument this is, and a great review. Thanks for sharing your impressions.

Eddie, that is one hell of a review! And, having received my BH at the same time as you did, I believe every word.

I wish I had the mental capacity right now to write my own but my treatments have been sucking my IQ and vocabulary out of my brain. But then again I could get away with saying I was left speechless by the quality, tone and play-ability of my BH Tenor and that would be the truth also.

Thank you kind sir :)

Oh my goodness, Eddie. I have been away from this corner of the interwebs, and am just catching up.

That is something else, even by the lofty standards of a Beau Hannam ukulele. Love the fluid lines of the heel and headstock; a look that just begs to be touched. Congrats on another stellar addition!

Top Bottom