Thread: Cracked Uke

Default Cracked Uke

One of my friends noticed at our strum session last night that his uke had a large crack in the back - beautifully figured maple. Fortunately, the builder was there and it will be repaired or replaced...

Question: Is it solely due to humidity (or lack there of) or could it also have something to do with him leaving it in the car in 20F weather for a couple of hours earlier that day?

Thoughts?

Could be either or both.

Some years back I fixed a guitar with two-piece backs where the centre seam had come apart. It was a very, very dry instrument. Rehumidifying it and then gluing the seam did the trick. The only other back cracks I've seen first hand were both mandolins and both were the result of pressure/impact damage - unrelated incidents.

Top cracks, on the other hand, seem much more common.
    And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no,
    And whether the skin be black or white as the snow,
    Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong,
    As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.

Quote Originally Posted by aremick View Post
    or could it also have something to do with him leaving it in the car in 20F weather for a couple of hours earlier that day?

Thoughts?
    Yeah, it could have something to do with that too....Especially if he brought it in from that and opened up the case right away in a warmer room. Ideally instruments need some time to adjust even when moving them from one place to another while inside a case.
    <><

Thread Information