Cracked Uke

aremick

Reaction score
One of my friends noticed at our strum session last night that his uke had a large crack in the back - beautifully figured maple. Fortunately, the builder was there and it will be repaired or replaced...

Question: Is it solely due to humidity (or lack there of) or could it also have something to do with him leaving it in the car in 20F weather for a couple of hours earlier that day?

Thoughts?

Could be either or both.

Some years back I fixed a guitar with two-piece backs where the centre seam had come apart. It was a very, very dry instrument. Rehumidifying it and then gluing the seam did the trick. The only other back cracks I've seen first hand were both mandolins and both were the result of pressure/impact damage - unrelated incidents.

Top cracks, on the other hand, seem much more common.

or could it also have something to do with him leaving it in the car in 20F weather for a couple of hours earlier that day?

Thoughts?
Yeah, it could have something to do with that too....Especially if he brought it in from that and opened up the case right away in a warmer room. Ideally instruments need some time to adjust even when moving them from one place to another while inside a case.

Top Bottom