What's in a name?

Ukecaster

Reaction score
I remember the thread on the ukes with the "Kaka" brand name. You wonder how that slips by when trying to sell in English speaking countries. It seems that brand is gone. I'm thinking that Kaka became Enya, is that correct? Sounds better to me. But, the company selling Enya ukes seems to be "Banggood". You can't make this stuff up!

Maybe they should have named them "Kenya", then they'd still be a K brand, like Kaka! ;)

But then everyone will think they're made in Africa.

Seems like either stuff got 'lost in translation' or maybe they just dont give a rat's about it and enjoy the controversy as 'free marketing' by virtue of the fact that folks talk about it like we are right now.

I will never buy something of a brand that 'seems' like the name is a ripoff of another brand. Sure I can put tape over the logo on the headstock and remove the label inside the soundhole, but then what? I'd still be bothered to own and play such an instrument.

If the (Kaka/Enya) name was changed to 'Karma' or something like that (provided if 'Karma' is not already a registered or known brand) then maybe it can still be a 'K-brand' while they wait for the day of reckoning from their past bad practices...

[edited to add: reminds me of the famous saying- "never assign malice to that which can be explained by ignorance or stupidity"]

just my :2cents:

Last edited:
Enya. The brand that shares its logo with the Irish singer...

What's in a name?

One of the reasons I couldn't buy a Snail uke, a snail is a slug with a shell, to me, slimy unpleasant creatures. ;)

LOL That's a good one... :shaka:

Enya. The brand that shares its logo with the Irish singer...

I wonder if she knows about this company? Hmm

Reminds me of the Chevy Nova. In the USA, "Nova" seemed space age. But in spanish based countries "Nova" is "No va" which translates as "It doesn't go"

Reminds me of the Chevy Nova. In the USA, "Nova" seemed space age. But in spanish based countries "Nova" is "No va" which translates as "It doesn't go"

Then why in the world did some nut name a shooting star a "supernova"?

Then why in the world did some nut name a shooting star a "supernova"?
Not really. It is a fun story for English speakers who are not familiar with Spanish, but a nova in Spanish is nova. It means new star. It is a Latin word. To not go is two words, no va. Linguistically they would not be confused, unless whoever was saying no va was drunk, then maybe it would sound like nova. ;)

https://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/nova.asp

Top Bottom