Kala KA-KSLNG

UkeStuff

Reaction score
I know the SLNG models are popular here on UU. What do you think of the KSLNG, which just has Koa gloss laminate (not real Koa). Is this something I would like the sound of, particularly if I love my Acacia Opio Concert and Sapele Opio Tenor? It’s hard to tell from the Ukulele Site video.

You could try calling HMS and ask one of the guys working there, especially the ones that play the demo songs, what they think of the uke. That's what I did when i wanted to know about several ukes.

I own the SLNG (solid spruce top long neck soprano for those not familiar with the model) and have played the laminate koa version a few times. The solid spruce top is louder, brighter has more ring and sustain compared to the laminate koa version. The latter has a nice sound just a bit mellower with out as much kick as the spruce.

Let us know what you find out!

I have the laminate mahogany and koa versions - K-SLNG and K-KSLNG. Croaky Keith is bang on - the koa version has a much crisper sound but it also comes with D'Addario Titanium T2 versus Aquila Nylgut strings which I think accounts for crispness. The koa laminate has a very thin body and a bound fretboard and is easy to travel with - and I think it looks stunning. I've played the spruce version and it has a much fuller, brighter sound - as you would expect with a solid top. I think the all laminates are fine (and great for grab and go and leaving out without worrying about humidity etc) but the solid/solid top ukes sound much better to my ear.

I also have the sapele Opio concert which, in my opinion only, is quite a step up in tone and playability.

I have the laminate mahogany and koa versions - K-SLNG and K-KSLNG. Croaky Keith is bang on - the koa version has a much crisper sound but it also comes with D'Addario Titanium T2 versus Aquila Nylgut strings which I think accounts for crispness. The koa laminate has a very thin body and a bound fretboard and is easy to travel with - and I think it looks stunning. I've played the spruce version and it has a much fuller, brighter sound - as you would expect with a solid top. I think the all laminates are fine (and great for grab and go and leaving out without worrying about humidity etc) but the solid/solid top ukes sound much better to my ear.

I also have the sapele Opio concert which, in my opinion only, is quite a step up in tone and playability.

I doubt anyone will argue about the step up in quality. You pay for it, but it is worth it.

I’m not hearing enough, “Great uke!” comments to justify buying it—my fear that it was still a laminate sound regardless of how pretty it was seems justified.

I think I’ll wait to see if anyone sells a long neck soprano Opio second hand instead.

I've had both a KA-SLNG and the KA-KSLNG and I was not particularly impressed by either. The guy who I sold the KA-KSLNG to would sell it, his wife quit playing and he "inherited" her Pono tenor. Think he would take $140 or less plus shipping. It originally came from HMS I believe, it's a beautiful instrument...
IMG_20151222_153846804.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom