'Ukulele Mike' Lynch Tribute Videos

Linda
I really like this second video with the singing and some finger picking.This must be from a different book other than the chord and melody?
By the way, according to his website his family will continue to manage the books sales.
Thank you again for sharing your videos. I should try to do a second one soon.

I'd like to add my voice to the tribute........I've spent many useful hours watching his videos.......
However, this is all I've got........it's mercifully short and might remind you of something ?
Note I've got my cap on..........Mike liked his hats !

He's also partly responsible for the group of wonderful 'ukes you see keeping me company!

I've really enjoyed this thread (nice one, Brenda ) even though the circumstances are sad........I listened to all the contributions last night .
I found Mezcalero's song particularly moving and I've been playing with the interesting chord progression Mike worked out (that Mezcalero used) this morning.
Now here's the thing, a really good teacher is the sort who when you've left the lesson, watched the video etc., you start thinking stuff like...... " I wonder what that would sound like in a flat key?".....or...."Hmm..I'll bet that would sound good in a higher position"
Then you find two hours of your life have flown by.
I always found Mike's tutorials were like that; it's never just the tutorial but half of the next day.
Anyway my contribution was minimal but maybe I could make a deal with my new Toronto friends.........at Dave's next theme party ( strings ? Tunings ?) I'll learn the chords and words to Mr.Bojangles and we can all play it together and remember Ukulele Mike.
He'd probably like that

Robin that's an awesome post. Funny thing is I just sent you an email about the winter uke party. Good idea about learning Mr. Bojangles and we all jam it out. Cheers brother.....love the hat, you gotta wear it to my house.

Excellent post Robin..... I can see a lot of players recording that little refrain.................Bring it on!
Mike

Very nicely done Robin! I've heard that intro dozens of times over these last 5 days as I have watched quite a few of Mike's tutorials. . .

I can not believe we have two piano players posting their video at the same time .

Thank you and a big bravo to you. Both of your ukes look so pretty.
May I ask good_uke_boy what kind of uke is that? My UAS bugs are attacking me again.

Joseph that is a sweet looking Hoffmann.

very nice playing! And agree with Brenda some lovely looking/sounding instruments as well!

Great stuff coming in! Thanks to Brenda and Campbell for starting this thread!

I't amazing how many tutorials Ukulele Mike did! I'm surfing for another to learn :)

Gee, Brenda and Cam, those were lovely. I hope you have some more???

When I first started playing, I was excited to discover that Ukulele Mike had arranged for ukulele a portion of a piano piece I'd learned as a teenager. This discovery resulted in several emails back and forth between him and me. Great fellow. RIP Mike. Hope I do it justice!

Edit: searched for, and found, ukulele Mike's version:

Very nice!

This is a terrific thread.
Ukulele Mike was a fabulous recourse.
He was incredible and a huge influence and a fantastic, generous teacher.
He will definately be missed!

Although I am not a soloist and rarely use tabs, I have many of his books.
I learned this one yesterday for the seasons to dedicate to him.
Only giving myself a day to try and get it together, it is rough.
I tackled this one at a slow pace and felt really good about it......until I went and had a listen to his timing and pacing :/

Take a listen to Mike's Waltzing Matilda. He played with such ease!

Here's mine after several hours and about a million takes.
Maybe sharing this will encourage others to do the same.

That was bueatiful! I've been trying to learn it off tabs, you've gotten along much further than I!

I get very excited whenever I see new post , new comment , new video on this thread.

Robin Harrison - I love your sense of humour. The hat, that smile ... especially those ukes. I would love to have them to keep me company!
Will you be playing more songs using those fancy instruments?
You are awesome!

Pabrizzer
- That song has been singing in my head. Thank you for posting your second video.

Mezcalero Kevin , its amazes me how quickly you can master a song. What's next ? There is no rest now!!

Last edited:
I learned this song tonight.
My this week contribution , hope you like it!
PS. Ukulele Mike said mute the strings so I did!

Last edited:
When Brenda was playing this so nicely, she was humming these words to to herself ........

“Tenors, Sopranos and years of hard study
Parties in Markham with David, our buddy.
South Coast, Oasis or any old strings
………….Brendas in love with our favourite things !”

When a string breaks, when I screw up.
When I want to cry.
I simply remember what Brenda would say….
Buy, buy, buy !"

Top Bottom