Thread: Please learn from my mistake...

Default Please learn from my mistake...

I just got a pack of Oasis Smooth Wound Low G Bright. A great deal, one pack enough for 2 sets. I was excited to try it on my Kamaka Pineapple Soprano. I turned the pack around and the first thing I saw printed on the back was "CUT STRING IN HALF BEFORE USING". After opening the pack, I found 3 paper envelops with contain the A, E, and C strings, and a brown plastic envelop containing the wound LOW G. I measured the length of A string in half and still has plenty to spare for my Soprano. So I decided to cut it to 60:40 and save the longer one for future use. It went well for the A, E and C strings.

Then......the unforgivable stupid mistake happened. I cut the LOW G into 60:40 and found the shorter piece was way too short. Then I realized there was ANOTHER brown plastic bag containing another LOW G in the pack. The LOW G was not meant to be cut in half. Oasis just gives you two packs. Lucky enough, the longer piece just barely made it so I could still use it.

I wish Oasis had specified that the LOW G was not meant to be cut on their packaging.

However it also showed that Oasis gives you so much more string, even 60% of a single length string can still make it on a Soprano.

So my friends, always measure BEFORE you cut!
    Tenor:
    Mya Moe Classic Koa #2052

Concert:
    Hoffmann ML Style Cedar/Ebony, LoPrinzi Nova MS-C Mahogany/Spruce, , Knaile'a KPA C Premium Koa, Kiwaya KMC-K Koa, Pono RC-C-PC Cedar/Rosewood, Kala Waterman KA CWB Green

Long Neck Soprano:
    KoAloha KSM-02 Koa

Soprano:
    Lanikai LU-21 Laminate Mahogany (My Very First Uke!), Kamaka Pineapple 100th Anniversary Koa, Maui Music SK-41 "Pre-Fire" Koa, Romero Creations XS Soprano Spalted Mango, Ohana SK 50G Cedar/Rosewood, Zimnicki Soprano Koa

Words to live by! Thanks for the warning.
    Kathryn

I have cut the "half" length in half a second time when restringing another uke. Both 1/4 lengths were completely useless and got tossed in the garbage. Stuff happens
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Thank you for the warning Joseph.
    I too cut mine in half but so far so good!
    I must keep this in mind .
    Brenda

Please participate in our Mike Lynch tribute thread :
    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...Tribute-Videos

I'm sure we have all been guilty of this kind of thing at some stage, like Dave says, stuff happens & we learn from it
    All the best,
    Campbell

Thanks for the advice!

My dad used to say “I don’t get it. I cut it twice and it’s still too short.”

I’ve also encountered a pack with a double A string that wasn’t quite long enough for 2. Ended up with 2 useless short strings, instead of 1 good length. So, now, before I cut a string in half I check the half-length is fine.
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

Because I am paranoid, I first string the uke loosely, then I cut the excess. Works.

I believe that I will use Bellgamin's method.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_J View Post
    I’ve also encountered a pack with a double A string that wasn’t quite long enough for 2. Ended up with 2 useless short strings, instead of 1 good length. So, now, before I cut a string in half I check the half-length is fine.
    This also happened to me with shorted A strings. Was when 'Strings and Beyond' first started to carry Oasis (ca. maybe 1 yr ago).

I've not ordered Oasis strings again since then, but even if 'Strings By Mail' is $3 more per pack, maybe it's worth it to just keep getting Oasis strings from them like I was previously.

Otherwise chances are you end up with sets that simply will NOT work on Tenor scale once you split the A string.

I know I could contact Oasis, but time is money and not worth the hassle. Strings are cheap enough.

#firstworldproblems
    Just the FAQs __________Less > more.__________Serenity now, insanity later.

Thread Information