Martin Smith UK-212 Soprano REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Barry deserves some type of award for struggling through the review of this disaster of a uke. The look on his face as he started playing was priceless.

A couple of questions-
Are we to assume you don't like it? Can I assume you won't be replacing your Timms with this one?

But seriously, that kind of quality or more appropriately, lack of it, is a problem in all kinds of instruments. You see parents buying their child band and orchestra instruments from Amazon or ebay that are equally bad. The parent buys it, rationalizing it in a number of ways-

It is cheap (less than renting or lots of other instruments)
Hey, it looks like an instrument
If they decide they like it maybe we can upgrade later
It has lots of positive reviews

Unfortunately, the instrument ends up so bad that the child does not have any chance at succeeding. The instrument cannot be fixed (or the repair techs refuse) due to the fact that the materials are SO poor and it would cost more than the price of the instrument to put it into workable condition. There are certainly good cheap instruments out there, but things like this are an abomination and can only be referred to as a "ukulele shaped object" and even that is a stretch.

And now they are popping up on my Amazon homepage, as clearly Amazon knows I looked at Barry's review!

Caveat emptor!

My apologies for Cookies tracking you around!!

Baz, even though I'm not in any way looking for a new uke (even though mine's in the shop), I still love watching your videos.
Pure entertainment, pure fun seeing your face contort when you try to play a piece of junk like this, or when you smile from ear to ear while playing the Timms.
Anybody that buys a "uke" (what a stretch of the word) like this for a kid deserves prison. So do the manufacturers.
Clearly, the market is under-regulated!

I just think brands like this don't care a jot about their customers as players. They ONLY care about their customers as a source of money. It can't possibly be anything else.

I don't object to brands making money - that's ultimately why they do it, but a GOOD brand knows that by building trust, keeping people playing, they also build a family.

Martin Smith capitalise on the basis that buyers don't know anything about them and dont care that they will never come back.

Would it actually cost more to produce a playable ukulele? I'm not talking about anything fantastic, but to produce the same ukulele but with most of the issues resolved.

I think as has been mentioned, the underlying issues is that they want profit without spending any time or care. As long as people keep buying stuff like this they have no reason to do any differently.

Fair comment. I wonder how many people have been put off from learning to play because they've bought a terrible uke. I bought a Ready Ace as my first, but I've persevered and bought some better ukuleles.
One concern that I do have regarding the Martin Smith uke is that a charity in England called Sue Ryder sells a ukulele that looks remarkably similar - also available in a few different colours (including the Union Flag design). Maybe Baz could review their Ukulele and advise them (privately if necessary).

Would it actually cost more to produce a playable ukulele? I'm not talking about anything fantastic, but to produce the same ukulele but with most of the issues resolved.

No, and they exist.

One concern that I do have regarding the Martin Smith uke is that a charity in England called Sue Ryder sells a ukulele that looks remarkably similar - also available in a few different colours (including the Union Flag design). Maybe Baz could review their Ukulele and advise them (privately if necessary).

The Sue Ryder is identical. Which makes Martin Smith even MORE culpable in my eyes.

I see Barry was taken in by this item resembling an ukulele. Can't really blame him for the misunderstanding as it is being advertised as such. However, it is better suited for purposes other than making music. Here's the start of my list. Please feel free to contribute.

You may want to purchase this item if you are looking for a:

1. Theater prop (it's a cute, little geetar)

2. Paperweight

3. Doorstop

4. Placeholder on the sofa (so you don;t lose your seat to the cat)

I see Barry was taken in by this item resembling an ukulele. Can't really blame him for the misunderstanding as it is being advertised as such. However, it is better suited for purposes other than making music. Here's the start of my list. Please feel free to contribute.

You may want to purchase this item if you are looking for a:

1. Theater prop (it's a cute, little geetar)

2. Paperweight

3. Doorstop

4. Placeholder on the sofa (so you don;t lose your seat to the cat)

5. Doorknocker

6. Planter

7. Self defense item

8. Yard ornament/birdhouse

Top Bottom