Plastic ukulele repair?

strumsilly

Reaction score
I brought my vintage Maccaferri Islander to a uke event earlier today and discovered the neck "joint" had cracked. This is more a player than collectible as the "nut" [also has a zero fret] has been repaired and there is a back crack. I paid $50 or less for it but I like it and find it useful for the beach or other water related things [the shower?]
1. What is the best glue were I to attempt a repair? [ I don't see any downside, it will either hold, or it won't. ]
2. What would be the best way to clamp it without cracking more plastic. [styrene]

It seems to be the same material as the plastic models I put together as a kid. Man was that glue great [just kidding] . can you even get it any more. Duco cement seems to be similar.

Also, anyone have a spare to sell if my repair is not successful. ? I know I can buy a modern plastic uke, but I have a fondness for these. I gave a few away to kids and wish I had kept the blue one I gave to a neighbors kid back in WA.
They made a lot of the sopranos and they come up on fleabay pretty often.He actually made a rarer baritone ,[had one and stupidly sold it] , violin, and guitar, all out of styrene!
DSC05444.jpg

Could you squirt super glue into the crack and hold it tightly for a few minutes til it bonds?

Wonder if there is stress from the string tension that is causing a problem?

Super glue and rubber bands? Actually, wait for someone who knows what they are talking about, but that's what I'd try.

Out of interest (‘cause I’m wonder about getting a plastic Uke) I too went searching and came across this video by UkesterBrown who appears to have a lot of experience with Islanders (http://www.ukesterbrown.com/maccaferri-and-his-islanders.html) and uses ‘Superglue’ (I’m not sure of the exact form, etc) : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9i0C9qCbNoY . Someone of the name Ukester Brown is a member here so maybe he would get and answer a PM?

Because it sets so very quickly I don’t like ‘superglue’ myself so aren’t familiar with what’s available here in the U.K. and even less so where you are. Cyanoacrylates are a family of strong fast-acting adhesives with industrial, medical, and household uses. Cyanoacrylate adhesives have a short shelf life if not used, about one year from manufacture if unopened, and one month once opened. Wikipedia . I believe that Superglue is a form of the above.

I did a check just to assure myself that styrene was the correct material, and here are also some suggestions here from folk who assemble styrene models: http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/general_discussion/f/9/t/168452.aspx .

I hope that the above is a help and that you will post about your repair results, good luck.

Last edited:
Well, you know that colorful duct tape they have out now? As a last resort, you could cover the whole thing in duct tape.

I am sure all that duct tape would have an affect on the sound, though . . .

No repair will work.

I would try the super glue route, at the least. I also wonder if something like JB Weld wouldn’t work? You’ll have to figure out how to hold the neck to the body as it dries.

If you can’t fix it, you could part it out—tuners, fretboard...

Last edited:
No repair will work.
Well I used the [h=1]Plastruct Bondene Cement for Styrene[/h]and so far so good. When I was trying to get it to fit back together the neck cracked completely off. I was about to take off the tuners and chuck it, when I thought I already bought the glue, so why not give it a try. I fit it together and just dribbled the water consistency solvent in the cracks, looks like hell, but it's been up to tension for a week and plays and sounds like it always did. fixed.jpg

Wet sand it and clear coat the repair maybe... use plastic safe clear coat.

Wet sand it and clear coat the repair maybe... use plastic safe clear coat.

This ^ and +1. :)

Doing as AL said should blend the repaired section nicer than it looks now. At least that's what I would do.

Top Bottom