Season 308 of the Ukulele

Here is one for the cover category. This is not so much a song "about" a drink but at least it is named after one, so I hope it meets the criteria for the season. It is a wonderful song in my view at least. I hope you enjoy my take on this classic from the Eagles, Tequila Sunrise.

Over the holiday period we went to Rome. A city I had not visited since 1964 (aged 10). At the time I was uncritically obsessed with Romans. I was shocked in the Colloseum by two things, I vividly remembered a fantasy of mine on my last visit, probably inspired by the endless Roman themed films of my childhood, in which I saw myself as a Gladiator drinking my dying opponent's blood. I then ran with this idea as the literal blood drinking became symbolic in my days as a choirboy. Finally, I bring the image (and my meditation on the years passed) to an end by the other shocking thing I experienced at the Colloseum.... I no longer saw it (as many around me still obviously did) as a place to be celebrated.

Anyway, this is the first of two songs that I wrote to document my experience in Rome. I hope to post the other one here tomorrow (and then find some time to listen to other entries.

PS My enjoyment of Rome was somewhat curtailed by the incredible flu I went down with on our third day there. Today, a whole week later, I still feel weak and until yesterday I was still running a temperature. The hacking cough threatens to persist for days more (and now Carmen has come down with the flu, too! :( )

Has anyone had a publisher block your video like mine has been before? That’s a bummer! :(

Hummm... It now seems to be playing again, although when I go to my YouTube channel, I don't see it in my videos.

If I click the watch on YouTube link from the video above, it takes me to my channel.

I've never had these issues before...

Last edited:
So, it is saturday night in Denmark, and it is time for a song about a longdrink!
I figured I better throw in a song of my own after encouraging the rest of you to write original material, being host and all. This song was missing in the drinks menu, so I started jotting down some lyrics a few days ago, and this is what I came up with.

A funny story:
I was in a bar/cafe in Copenhagen, and as it sometimes happens - the bar had hired a bartender that didn't speak danish. Here is a conversation:

Me:
Jeg vil gerne bestille en Gin og Tonic
Bartender:
Sorry, I dont speak danish
I know, if he doesn't speak danish, how would he guess what I was ordering? That must look like gibberish to you all.
Me:
I would like a G&T please
Bartender:
What kind of Tea would you like?
Well... I guess you should have been there.

By the way, "Do you mind if I have some of your tasty beverage" is part of a quote from a movie. Wonder if anyone recognizes which movie... It has a lot of quotes.

Fun original for season # 308. I'm generally not very good with lyrics, so I asked my friend Glen to write some lyrics with working title "Tasty Beverage" I arranged some music and laid it all down pretty quickly. A shout out to Lynda (BEV) for her thumb only down stroke inspiration :)

Tasty Beverage*

She was something else
She was all the rage*
Like the ice that melts*
In a tasty beverage*

Like a single malt scotch
Like a cherry coke
Shaken not stirred*
A hint of fruit a hint of smoke*

A cold chocolate Yahoo in the summer on the beach
A bottle in the boot of champagne and a peach
She was the Paris in my absinthe and the sugar in my tea
And the bumble in the honey of my bumblebee*

She was something else
She was all the rage
Like the ice that melts
In a tasty beverage.

Last edited:
Hi
I will have missed a season or two but will return again soon. The loss of my brother has left the family shredded. During this dark time I wrote a song. When the right season comes I will record and post.

Love and peace to all,
Ciao

My second song was also inspired by my visit to Rome. While there, I made a personal pilgrimage to the room where one of my favourite poets, John Keats, died. I was struck by how the poet must have been dying in a point of the city at which life flowed on so vividly outside up and down the Spanish steps, perhaps a little less crowded in his time, but I am guessing not a lot. I wrote the last lines of the chorus on inspiration in the visitors' book. My flu then got really deadly and I found myself overly sympathising with the dying poet within hours. Over the next few days, I kind of mapped out the verses, but in note form. My creative juices were dried up by my high temperatures.

Back home in Catalonia, as I slowly began to recover, I managed to finally synthesise the notes I had written into verses and a tune came to me almost immediately. I recorded it yesterday in a burst of energy, that has slightly subsided today, sadly.

But anyway, here it is. I hope enough people get to hear it, because I am proud of this one.

With just about one day and a half to go of the theme, I will make a small adjustment ot the song limits.

Since the number of songs has not been as high as I expected, and since Bernie happened to come up with two originals (one of which is surely a cover of his own song...), I will allow doing an original in stead of a cover or vice versa during the last day. But of you post a third song after posting two non-milkshake-songs, it still has to be milkshake!

If you wrote an original and would rather have done an extra cover song on the last day...
Well, I am not sorry, because what you made was awesome!
We have had all good originals this week! And I am surprised to see how many originals compared to cover songs we have had.

If you are done with your contributions, still remember to listen to those last entries - those are from the seasonistas who practiced the most!

This is a song called "Fresh Coffee" by some friends of mine who record as Soundscape Rebellion.

Big Phil , I would suggest you check your emails from YouTube , you might find your cover song is temporarily blocked until you acknowledge copyright of the owner. A lot of song owners are happy to allow you to publish a cover they simply require that you acknowledge its their work. If you have an email it will explain it all you just need to follow the link and read and comply. Basically either way I think YouTube would have notified you you just need to check. Hope that will make it easier for you to follow up anyway

Yes YouTube did email me but there is no offer to rescind the blocking. The email says they believe I have infringed their copyright and if I agree, I don't need to do anything. They have blocked the video in 108 countries. It does say I can challenge the claim but I'm not planning to pursue any challenge. Seems European countries can still view, I have received a number of comments from across the pond. Thanks for your perspective.

Yuck!!!! (I have a real problem with making weak cups of tea for visiting friends and family!)
yeah, even when i try and make a nice strong cup for people who like their tea to taste of tea, rather than just warm watered-down milk (actually, saying that out loud even makes me feel a bit queasy! lol!!!!!!) i fail dismally!

BEV, this one's for you!
oh wow!!!!!!!! that was so great!!!!!!!! :bowdown: :rock:

I studied Bev's songwriting tips, and the House Cat seemed to like the result
me too!!!!!

A shout out to Lynda (BEV) for her thumb only down stroke inspiration :)
fab!!!!! :music:

Hi
I will have missed a season or two but will return again soon. The loss of my brother has left the family shredded. During this dark time I wrote a song. When the right season comes I will record and post.

Love and peace to all,
Ciao
so sorry, gina

By the way, "Do you mind if I have some of your tasty beverage" is part of a quote from a movie. Wonder if anyone recognizes which movie... It has a lot of quotes.
i wondered if it might be a quote, but i dunno what from!

Do you mind if I have some of your tasty beverage

Google tells me Pulp Fiction.
A movie I have never watched.
Its a line Samuel L Jackson says shortly before he and John Travolta shoot up the person to whom the tasty beverage belongs. I heartily recommend it, but I don’t know what your tastes are Pa. You might hate it :D. It is very quotable. Along with Jackie Brown it’s my favourite of the films of his I’ve seen.

Its a line Samuel L Jackson says shortly before he and John Travolta shoot up the person to whom the tasty beverage belongs. I heartily recommend it, but I don’t know what your tastes are Pa. You might hate it :D. It is very quotable. Along with Jackie Brown it’s my favourite of the films of his I’ve seen.

This pretty much sums it up :)
"Death Proof" is also pretty good, and a bit overlooked - compared to some of the bigger movies which I don't like as much.

A little late to the party, but you know what they say...

Top Bottom