Season 308 of the Ukulele

Inspired by Linda L's salute to all things bubbly, I, too, have set out to prove that, even though you might be completely lacking in talent, it is still possible to write a song. This subject is dear to my heart as it is my favourite beverage. I first started drinking Guinness when I was feeding my babies - it's supposed to be good for milk production! Since I was the original Earth Mother, and fed them both for ages, by the time I'd finished, the Guinness habit was well-established.

Here's one I threw together quickly just now, might not have time for anything else this week.

(I am having to practice a particular tune for a project on one of my harmonica forums this week.)

I got this theme for sure.

Even though I have never had a cup of coffee, and gave up smoking a couple of decades ago, this number has been my favorite song by my favorite male singer (Otis Redding) basically since I first heard it. I hope that I did it justice - if I could get within a million miles of the sublime Otis, I will count that as a success. I hope you enjoy it. It's early in the morning, you know . . . .

Mid-week update!

Lets have a mid week update!

First of all, I have decided to go lazy and keep the comments on youtube for now, sorry.

We had 23 covers, 10 originals and 3 Milkshakes this far.
I hope some seasonistas are taking their time perfecting the song they are bringing, so we will see some more songs. There are still many spirits, cocktails and softdrinks that we haven't heard songs about. And since we often have more than 40 individual seasonistas participating, there should be more with songs to sing!

I also hope for a milkshake or two more. We have had no electric rock'n roll version yet, and it is also allowed to tweek the lyrics to another drink, as long as the reference to the original song is clear - "My draft-beer brings all the lads to the bar" can be sung in a convincing way, so I't would count as milkshake.

If you have not allready, make sure to listen to the playlists! There are some great entrys.

Covers
  1. Season 308 - Leave the Bourbon on the Shelf - Ryan Bridgett-Blake
  2. Tear my stillhouse down (SOTU 308) - weegingayin Scottish Ukulele player
  3. Seasons of the Ukulele 308: Third Eye Blind - God of Wine - Wim van Ommen
  4. Season 308 Alligator milk - Recovering Bassist
  5. When I Take My Sugar To Tea - Randy McSorley
  6. MacArthur Park - Turtledrum
  7. SotU 308 - New Wine in Old Bottles - UkeintheHeartofTexas
  8. A Glass of Champagne - pabrizzer
  9. Three Little Birds, cover, 308th season of the ukulele, drink - Jazzbanjorex
  10. WILL YOU - hazel o'connor - baritone ukulele - BirdsEyeViewOfMyUke
  11. 'Champagne Supanova' ~Oasis Sotu 308 - Mark c
  12. Everything Stops For Tea (Sotu 308) - Guzzler
  13. "CUP O' TEA" ( ukulele cover) - Limousin Lil
  14. Bottle of Wine - SOTU 308 - Joko MacKenna
  15. Cool Water - (Sons Of The Pioneers Cover) - Linda Louden
  16. 009 - I Hardly Ever Sing Beer Drinking Songs - 365ukesongs
  17. season 308 - A Taste of Honey - e san
  18. UkeFoote "The Days of Wine and Roses" by Henry Mancini and Johnny Mercer - Brian Fergus
  19. Tea With Cinnamon by Katzenjammer - SOTU 308 uke cover - dickadcock
  20. Bottle of Wine - Tenor Ukulele - TootlinGeoff
  21. Too Drunk to Pluck - greyghost1964
  22. SOTU 308: CHUG-A-LUG by Roger Miller - a Baritone Ukulele Cover - Dennis Danner
  23. Cigarettes and Coffee - Big King Velour

Originals
  1. Milk - pabrizzer
  2. I LIKE A CUP OF COFFEE - homemade song - baritone uke - BirdsEyeViewOfMyUke
  3. Fallen Trees for S308 - SparkyCola3
  4. Digital Nomad Blues - weegingayin Scottish Ukulele player
  5. Season 308 It's a fluid situation - Recovering Bassist
  6. Rice Milk and Oatmeal Cookies, Rex Powell, 308th season of the ukulele - Jazzbanjorex
  7. Fizzity Pop - Linda Louden
  8. Water - Randy McSorley
  9. "ABOUT THE STOUT" ( ukulele cover) - Limousin Lil
  10. Beverages - Keith M

Milkshake!
  1. Baritone Milkshake - SOTU 308 - Joko MacKenna
  2. Milkshake, London Vintage Swing Band, version, cover, 308th season of the ukulele - Jazzbanjorex
  3. 308th Season - Milkshake - OnlyUkeThatMatters

Last edited:
Here's my original. I originally wrote it about 3 years ago but when I dusted it off, I realised it needed some editing so it has been fairly extensively edited this week. it's a standard 12 bar blues in G played on my Brüko Tenor tuned dGBE. The video is based on my own photos but I've applied various effects from my photo editor and floated clip art across the top of them.

original

Trying out my new phone to record video. It's a lot better than the old phone, but with this baritone, the audio was very bassy, the uke just about drowned out my voice. I think it will work okay for conventional ukes. But for this one, I used audio recorded with a Blue Snowball mic and Audacity.

Whiskey in My Coffee

Pour me a coffee, make it good and strong
Yes, pour me a coffee, I need it black and strong
Better make it real hot, 'cause I need it to last all night long

Well, it's half past ten, and I got them midnight blues
Yeah, it's half past ten, but I got them black night blues
So don't mix my coffee with no nasty cheap old booze

So put some whiskey in my coffee
Just about half and half
Dark roast or light
As long as it's not decaf
A little whiskey in my coffee
'll make it go down smooth
It's just the thing to chase
Away those midnight blues

Oh, it's a cold dark night and I need my coffee hot
I like it fresh ground but if instant is all that you got
I'll take it that way, and you can just leave the pot

No sugar, no cream, just keep it hot and black
Add some Tennessee whiskey or some good stuff from that purple sack
Whiskey in my coffee, it keeps me right on track

Whiskey in my coffee
Whiskey in my coffee
A little whiskey in my coffee
'll make it go down smooth
It's just the thing to chase
Away those midnight blues

So put some whiskey in my coffee, 'cause
If you snooze, you lose

Early Dire Straits, without any of the wonderful and interesting Knopfler fills. ;)

Thanks for hosting Uking Viking!

"Tasty Beverage" Cover song ~ Margaritaville by Jimmy Buffett.

One question - can the recording be something I've finished but the video is new? I have an original song that features terrible, terrible coffee that'd be great for this week!

I am not sure I understand the question.
Original songs des not have to be written this week, you can just make a new recording.
If you want to mix an elaborate multitrack you have allready made with new video, I guess that it is not the intention, but it depends on whether we would know. If you put it on youtube before, somewhere seasonistas might have heard it, dont. If not, fake it and dont tell us...

Edit:
The previous was written on my phone this morning, perhaps it is a bit unclear, but when I was trying to say is:
If the audio track has not been "Published" on youtube before, I will accept it as "new".
But the video still has to say that it is for this season.

Last edited:
My entry for Season 308 is a Cover song, a cool song called "Cool Water" by Bob Nolan ..

Cheers , thanks for hosting the season Ukeing Viking .. Happy Ukeing

Last edited:
A homemade song about green soft drink which tastes of tarragon - "Tarhun". It is the most colorful thing I remember from my childhood. :)

I studied Bev's songwriting tips, and the House Cat seemed to like the result:

I've had two major spells of song writing where I wrote maybe five or six songs in a short period that I was pretty happy with. First was back in 2009/2010 when I'd just left school, hadn't found a job yet and had nothing better to do.

Second was in 2013 when I'd moved out of my dad's place and had some privacy to hash out some ideas.

This is from that second period although it describes events from 2011. A lot of people here know I used to live in Sydney before moving back to the UK. Well in 2011 I went back for a visit. Mainly to go out clubbing with my friends from over there because I moved back before I was 18.

This song is basically my only drinking story worth telling. It was my last night before going back home, I was out with my best mate, whose house I was also staying At, he thought I'd pulled and he hadn't, so he left me to it. Turns out I hadn't pulled, it was three in the morning, there were no buses and I didn't have enough cash on me for a cab. So I phoned my mate up, he was already home, and I was too drunk to understand his directions home. So I ended up walking the bus route, which drunk me neglected to remember went up a dual carriageway. Luckily a patrol car caught me stumbling along the middle of it and took me back to my mates house. That was not a fun flight back to England the next day.

(This was originally written on guitar but I can't remember how i played it so I've redone it this morning)

Only 346 shopping days to go

I was going to submit a cover of Tim Spencer's "Cigareetes & Whusky & Wild, Wild Women", but then I remembered this from Essex's very own Jules Everest: at least 17 different varieties of booze mentioned; and at least 25 named brands!

Beverage/Brand
Absinthe
Beer
Becks
Budweiser
Newcastle Brown
Special Brew​
Bourbon
Jack Daniels​
Brandy
Cider
Babycham
Koppaberg
Strongbow​
Cocktails
Margarita​
Gin
Tanqueray​
Grappa
Liqueurs
Advocaat
Baileys
Curaçao
Jägermeister
Malibu
Martini
Pernod
Sambuca
WKD​
Ouzo
Port
Rum
Bacardi
Captain Morgan​
Scotch
Bells
Drambuie
Famous Grouse
Glenfiddich​
Sherry
Tequila
Vodka
Wine
Champagne
Lambrini
Red​

Last edited:

Polar Seltzer is a cult favorite in Massachusetts, so I had to write a song about it.

Top Bottom