Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell us about your 8 stringers!

I was quite intrigued by Barry’s review of the Baton Rouge. I have struggled to get an 8 string in my hand to try here in the Pacific Northwest. Especially a BatonRouge.

Dear bsfloyd,

Thanks for your kind words. While there are four possible stringing options for the baroque guitar (depending of which time period and composers), the stringing of the renaissance guitar is rather straightforward, that is, from low to high : highG/lowG, unison C/C, unison E/E, and a single A for the chanterelle or 1st String. Just as a matter of taste, and to get more bottom in the overall sound, I tune my Baton Rouge one whole step down, that is f/F, Bb/Bb, D/D, G/G. Very few pieces ask for "templo viejo" which means that the lowest course must be tuned one step lower (f/F for a regular uke tuning).

Regards,
    Gilles

I’Ve had many 8 stringers, and one of my favorites was a very inexpensive Lanikai LU8. (Laminate) I currently have a Kamaka white label 8, and it also is a winner but I paid about 10 times what the Lanikai cost.
    there is no substitute for LOVE

Pono makes an excellent 8 string for about 400 bucks. Had the Lanaika...8....sounded dull and lifeless to me anyway..sold it...hear many good things about the Ohana spruce top 8 , but have not personally tried it. I want a mango pono 8, just waiting for one to show up in the classifeds.
    (Originally a Northern Yankee
    But now a good old southern boy)

Ohana Sk 28 limited edition
    Cocobolo concert
    Kamaka H3 Long Neck Tenor
    Duke 10
    Pono Pro Mad. Ebony Tenor
    Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Baritone

Quote Originally Posted by bsfloyd View Post
    bratsche - I think I might have replies to a thread of yours on the Mandolin Café forums regarding your 8 string baritone quest
    Aha, yes! Such a small world, that of the MC/UU double agents.

bratsche
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

Quote Originally Posted by bsfloyd View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone!! Very helpful information here. By breaking the bank, I was hoping under $300 so most likely would be in the all laminate park.
    The Ohana TK-70-8 is all Solid Spruce & Solid Mahogany...pretty sure.
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins | Fender Piha'eu - Worth Browns | Lanikai banjolele - Fremont Blacklines
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Ohana CK-28 Nunes - Martins
    UBass: Kala Exotic Mahogany - Road Toad Pahoehoe

Quote Originally Posted by Picker Jon View Post
    My Kala solid acacia. A beautifully appointed instrument, the inlays and binding all exotic wood. I put low tension Worth browns on and it plays very nicely but isn't very loud. The original tuning with 2 courses in octaves and 2 in unison sounded amazing for strumming but I hardly ever strum. I got it for playing fingerstyle folk which sounded a bit strange with high, and even higher G, so I strung it all unison. It still sounds prety good but not as good as with the original tuning.

Very lovely instrument, Picker Jon - thanks for sharing!!

Quote Originally Posted by gilles T View Post
    Dear bsfloyd,

Thanks for your kind words. While there are four possible stringing options for the baroque guitar (depending of which time period and composers), the stringing of the renaissance guitar is rather straightforward, that is, from low to high : highG/lowG, unison C/C, unison E/E, and a single A for the chanterelle or 1st String. Just as a matter of taste, and to get more bottom in the overall sound, I tune my Baton Rouge one whole step down, that is f/F, Bb/Bb, D/D, G/G. Very few pieces ask for "templo viejo" which means that the lowest course must be tuned one step lower (f/F for a regular uke tuning).

Regards,
    Gilles
    Thanks for the added information, Gilles! I may very well be confusing the tunings and courses with that of the baroque guitar. However, I thought I read something about Neapolitan tuning for the renaissance guitar as an alternative, no?

I also stumbled upon this showing a renaissance guitar in five courses (perhaps it was just as the early baroque era was beginning to form):
    http://www.lutesandguitars.co.uk/htm/cat11.htm

Very fascinating to me!
    Last edited by bsfloyd; 01-08-2018 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UkerDanno View Post
    The Ohana TK-70-8 is all Solid Spruce & Solid Mahogany...pretty sure.
    Ah, so it is! I just may have to splurge a bit

Thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences and the recommendations - it helps greatly!!

Thread Information