Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hawaii trip buying advice

Good suggestions from Brad, Eddie, and Brenda. If you can't get to HMS though, The Ukulele Store, 226 Lewers St., Suite 218, had the best selection of ukuleles in Waikiki. They are extremely helpful, and have a free class in the afternoon. The owner and manager used to work for Pua Pua.

Quote Originally Posted by luv2uke View Post
    Good suggestions from Brad, Eddie, and Brenda. If you can't get to HMS though, The Ukulele Store, 226 Lewers St., Suite 218, had the best selection of ukuleles in Waikiki. They are extremely helpful, and have a free class in the afternoon. The owner and manager used to work for Pua Pua.
    perfect! Thanks so much.

Lot's of good advice here. KoAloha does have a factory seconds wall, and what's there on any given day is hit or miss (whehn I went there a few years back, for example, they didn't have any tenor ukuleles). And Hawaiian Music Supply, which is now called The Ukulele Site both online and in brick and mortar, is the best place on Oahu for you to check out alternates to out-of -your-price-range K brands. Another option is Dan's Guitars, which is at 2000 S. Beretania St. Unit B, in Honolulu. When I was there a few years ago, Dan's had nice selection of ukuleles, including some used ukuleles (your mileage may vary) that could get you a brand you want in your price range. Have fun!

Thanks so much for this. I really want to go to KoAloha just to check it all out. They seem like a great group of people (I follow them on Instagram) and I've wanted one of their ukes for years. It's tough, there's something cool about the idea of buying in Hawaii, but at the same time, the used marketplace here is awesome and probably more practical.... Ah, we'll see, but no matter what I'll check out some of these suggestions for the experience and fit in what I can in the short time I have there.

One more place to visit is Goodguys Music on Kapahulu. I haven't been in some years and from what I hear the area has changed a bit, but since it's out of the traditional "tourist" neighborhood prices were a bit lower than the Waikiki shops last time I went. And you never know what you'll find there, as I believe they sell both new and used. And while you're at it, you can pick up a souvenir shirt at Bailey's Aloha Shirts down the block - a real cool place for browsing for souvenirs that are a bit more interesting than the more common mass-produced Waikiki options.

Also - anybody know if the Aloha Bowl swap meet is still worthwhile for ukes? That might be another possibility for the OP to check out.

Quote Originally Posted by janeray1940 View Post
    Also - anybody know if the Aloha Bowl swap meet is still worthwhile for ukes? That might be another possibility for the OP to check out.
    A member of our uke group went to a swap meet while he was in Hawaii several months ago, and brought back a Kamaka white label soprano and a Lanakaii slot head tenor with a pickup. He seemed to think the price was good.
    Bill

By the way I just found my old photo to share with you. This is the Ukulele Pua Pua at the Sheraton Hotel and their free lessons. The row of ukes on the left to the photo are all Ko'aloha and Kanilie'a if memory serves me right.

Kamaka factory is the closest to Waikiki in comparison to Ko'Aloha and Kanilie'a . You may be able to take public transportation there.

[IMG]IMG_8820 by Brenda Lee, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Brenda

Please participate in our Mike Lynch tribute thread :
    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...Tribute-Videos

I found what I wanted my first day on the big Island by returning to someone I had dealt with two years before. I am very pleased. I am now on Kauai and hope to visit Scotty's before heading home to Vermont. The latter not for a purchase but to see who he is and maybe set up a relationship for the future. That is what worked on the big Island - having a relationship. I have consistently purchased used instruments as I prefer them overall. They also have better prices.
    As was suggested above - avoid the tourist traps.

Kamaka pineapple gold label - 1950s
    Kamaka custom soprano, gold label. 1960s?
    Mele pineapple - koa and mahogany - modern
    Kamaka tenor - 2002
    Mele, Braddah tenor 1990s
    Slingerland banjolele Maybell - 1920s

This is just outstanding!

Quote Originally Posted by SoloRule View Post
    By the way I just found my old photo to share with you. This is the Ukulele Pua Pua at the Sheraton Hotel and their free lessons. The row of ukes on the left to the photo are all Ko'aloha and Kanilie'a if memory serves me right.

Kamaka factory is the closest to Waikiki in comparison to Ko'Aloha and Kanilie'a . You may be able to take public transportation there.

[IMG]IMG_8820 by Brenda Lee, on Flickr[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by SoloRule View Post

The Kamaka factory is a fun place to visit and the tour is a blast, but Kamaka doesn't offer factory seconds and doesn't usually have instruments for sale, although you can order one while you're there.

Thread Information