Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barring at fret 1 is very hard - ideas?

when I first started I had the same problem. To make it work I was doing some crazy stuff in terms of fingerings, stacking fingers, etc.

I kept practicing and then one day, as if by magic, it worked. So keep practicing. However here a few things I found helpful.

1. I assume we're talking about the Bb major chord when we're talking about the first fret. So, first of all, barre the entire fret.
    2. I was pressing harder and harder, rolling my finger to the side, moving the finger laterally, changing the thumb position...all that became needless once I received one piece of advice: don't fight gravity. Your hand wants to fall to the ground. Let it, in a way. Fret the entire fret, but instead of trying to crush the strings into the fretboard with the muscles of your phalanges, let the weight of the hand pull it downwards or even pull downwards a tiny bit. For me, that one trick instantaneously fixed my problems.

Hello everyone, thanks for all your advice I swapped out my strings for something with lower tension - Purple Aurora strings by aNueNue, a Taiwanese brand. The strings are suppler and more forgiving than my old ones and I'm happy with the sound. Barring the first fret is still a lot harder than the rest of the fretboard, but it is a lot more doable now. Finally conquered Bb, Db and Gb - yay!

Just thought I'd chime in. I've read here and other places that's what zero frets are for. Is it too late to have one put in this uke?
    Or is it even cost effective?
    Anyway, I'm glad it's better for you now.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

I think that all of the posts have contained good advise, but when you get right down to it, barr chords are hard, and barring the first fret is the hardest. It just takes time. Maybe a lot of time. Some things just aren't easy, and that is one of them. I try not to get discouraged by things that are hard to do by realizing that it is hard for everyone.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    I think that all of the posts have contained good advise, but when you get right down to it, barr chords are hard, and barring the first fret is the hardest. It just takes time. Maybe a lot of time. Some things just aren't easy, and that is one of them. I try not to get discouraged by things that are hard to do by realizing that it is hard for everyone.
    Bravo Rolli, you nailed it. Kinda like hitting a high soft landing flop shot in golf. It is very difficult and the only way to get there is lots of practice
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

I would take the Bb fretting, and slide it up the neck to the 5th fret. That's a D chord. Practice there until you master it. Then go down the neck to the 3rd fret thats a C chord. Master that and then return to the Bb and it will be a piece of cake. The theory is that the closer to the middle of the fretboard, the 5th fret, it is easier to barre due to less tension. Be patient, if it was easy everybody could do it. And enjoy the journey. Good luck and remember to practice.
    DEPENDENTS:

In order of age:

Kamaka HF-4 Baritone C Linear Tuning 6/2009
    Martin C-1K Concert, Bb Re-entrant Tuning 4/2014
    KoAloha KTM-00 Tenor C Linear Tuning 7/2014
    Kala KA-SRMT-TRI Tenor C Linear Tuning 6/1/2015
    Pono MTD-CR Tenor C Re-entrant Tuning 6/21/2016
    Koaloha KCM-00 Concert Bb Linear Tuning 4/20/2017

Thread Information