Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NUD - Gary Gill short-neck tenor

Default NUD - Gary Gill short-neck tenor

My new Gary Gill - Pear shaped tenor body/concert neck, aka short-neck tenor arrived yesterday from Mim. Thanks Mim, you rock!

Douglas Fir top
    Mahogany back & sides
    Side sound port
    Walnut & maple headstock
    Walnut fretboard with Corian fret markers
    Walnut binding
    Worth Brown strings
    MiSi pick-up

I am most comfortable with concert scale. I do ok with soprano, but tenor was a little too much for my less than long & graceful fingers. I had a tenor & loved the sound, but just couldn't get used to it. Happily, I came across this tenor/concert combo, and it fits my needs perfectly. Wonderful tenor sound with a scale I can manage easily. Mim described the tone of this uke as "buttery" and she was right. This is my first time with Worth Brown strings, and now I know why everyone likes them so much. They sound & feel great.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My ukulele family.....
    Islander Acacia laminate soprano
    KoAloha concert - circa 2006
    Loprinzi cedar & rosewood concert
    Gary Gill concert scale tenor, Douglas Fir & Mahogany

Nice, I didn't know there were any left since Gary retired from building awhile back. You should enjoy that for years to come!
    Current Stable:
    -Ohana TKS-15E - Eb cuatro
    -Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - Bb, SC SMU
    -Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    -KPK pineapple SLN-GCEA
    -Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    -Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    -Imua iET-Bb, M600
    -Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    -Rogue bari
    -Bonanza super tenor, FBL cFAD
    Once upon a time:
    -RISA Concert Stick
    -Bruko sop. custom #6
    -Lanikai lam hog bari
    -Kala SLNG
    -Bruko bari
    -Gold Tone BUT

Jim's Blog

Congratulations to your new addition. I too prefer concert scale but like the sound of tenor.
    Tenor: Mya Moe 2052, Mya Moe Resonator 1581
    Concert: Hoffmann ML, Oceana Slothead Cutaway, LoPrinzi Nova MS-C, Kanile'a KPA C, Kiwaya KMC-K, Pono RC-C-PC, Kala Waterman KA CWB
    Soprano: Lanikai LU-21(Starter uke!), Kamaka Pineapple 100th Anniversary, Maui Music SK-41 "Pre-Fire", Romero Creations XS, Ohana SK 50G, Zimnicki #20, Makayla Dolphin Light Blue Burst, Fred Shields Oval, KoAloha KSM-02 (Long Neck), Barron River
    Mini: iUke Piccolo, Fred Shields Pocket

Looks great! A real find. Tenor body and concert neck really appeals to me so if you ever decide to sell please let me know pleeeeease.
    How do you think this compares to your new Loprinzi?
    I just tried Worth browns mediums on one of my ukes too and was pleasantly surprised - feel and sound is quite a bit different from the Worth CL and Martins.

That does look nice, enjoy.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by keod View Post
    Looks great! A real find. Tenor body and concert neck really appeals to me so if you ever decide to sell please let me know pleeeeease.
    How do you think this compares to your new Loprinzi?
    I just tried Worth browns mediums on one of my ukes too and was pleasantly surprised - feel and sound is quite a bit different from the Worth CL and Martins.
    Mim had three Gary Gills for sale on her website ..... two concerts and the one tenor/concert. I had never seen the short neck tenor combination before, and since I got ukulele money for Christmas I decided to jump on it. The Loprinzi is a more compact sized concert, so it kind of has a concert and soprano blend sound. However, the cedar & rosewood keeps it more mellow than a soprano. So far I’m loving the Worth Browns on the tenor.

One thing I am struggling with is the strap on the Gary Gill. I use straps on all my ukes and much prefer two strap buttons. Not a fan of tying to the headstock. But Mim told me that because of the way the neck is joined to the body on the GG, you can’t put a strap button on the heel of the neck. If anyone has a supercool, stick-on strap button idea, let me know. Having the strap tied above the nut gets in my way and tying above that makes me wonder about pressure on the tuners. I have tried the sound hole hook kind and those are the worst.
    My ukulele family.....

First off congratulations on a unique and wonderful looking ukulele.

I am not doubting MIM and her knowledge of GG instruments but I have never heard of this issue before. Ask her if installing a button on the heel cap would work.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

I did ask her and she said “no bueno” on GG due to the way the neck is attached. It looks to be bolted in some way. I read some past reviews of GG ukes and I do recall someone saying that they had a hard time with it. I figure if Mim won’t do it, I’m definitely not trying it. My local guitar shop also messed up a strap button in the past so I won’t let them try either.
    My ukulele family.....

Quote Originally Posted by RafterGirl View Post
    Mim told me that because of the way the neck is joined to the body on the GG, you can’t put a strap button on the heel of the neck.
    Totally agree on the preference for a strap button on the neck. You might try moving the strap closer to the top above the gear tuners rather than close to the nut- that has helped me in the past.

On one of my ukes I was told, by a local music store, the same thing. For a few days I tried to make do with a mini stick on hook LOL. Stopped into a different store in another city and they told me that there should be no issue if attaching a button to the underside of the neck but did caution that it may have to be angled more carefully if the neck contains a carbon rod etc. They also said that on some necks, that contain a centre laminated strip for stability, it is "not" recommended to install the strap button on the flat of the heel cap itself. Not sure why, and I didn't think to ask. I went ahead and installed one on the neck itself without issue.

On another, I contacted the builder and they said not to worry if on the treble side of the neck. But I agree with Dave, Mim can probably clarify or confirm.

Thanks for comparsion to the Loprinzi. I'm sure this Gary Gill will be a stellar instrument for you - looks awesome, love the fretboard markers, and side sound port of course.
    Last edited by keod; 01-09-2018 at 06:44 AM.

Glad to see you decided to purchase it. Enjoy!

Thread Information