Question about String Changing

Ib24

Reaction score
Hi all,
Because I play multiple other instruments from different genres of music, I like to hop around when choosing my ukulele music. A lot of jazz pieces recommend using a low g string. Is there a mechanism in which I can quickly change the string back and forth without going through all the time-consuming process to change the string?

I would say no. Due to two different gauge strings needing to be used for the high/low string G configuration.

I agree with Creb. You need the nut slot for the lo G string filed out a tad wider/deeper, then it won't be right for a thinner hi G string.
Get another uke.

Even if you change the string, that will put you in string stretching mode every time you change it, since the string removed will try to go back to its original length. A second uke is the only practical answer. Not a wallet friendly one though.

I'm inclined to agree that a second instrument is the only really workable solution.

Unlike steel strings, polymer strings do not take kindly to continual retuning. They take time to settle to any change in tension so taking them on and off is not a good idea. Most of us own multiple ukes and it's then a good idea to keep some at least in different tunings. That's what I do.

Last edited:
If you have a tie bridge, you could, instead of attaching the normal way, use a knotted string, or tie a bead on the end of it, that would allow it to be replaced more quickly. :)

But personally, I too would have a re entrant & a linear tuned uke, & just go between them. ;)

If you have a tie bridge, you could, instead of attaching the normal way, use a knotted string, or tie a bead on the end of it, that would allow it to be replaced more quickly. :)

But personally, I too would have a re entrant & a linear tuned uke, & just go between them. ;)

It doesn't matter how you attach them the problem I mentioned in my previous post will still be there. It's to do with the physical properties of polymers.

I don't think there's any such thing as a quick-change. I concur with the others saying you need a second instrument.

Thank you to everyone for your help. Unfortunately, the ukulele I have right now I just purchased, so it will take a while to save up money for another. Thanks again!

You need the nut slot for the lo G string filed out a tad wider/deeper, then it won't be right for a thinner hi G string.

Just for the record, I've played both low G and reentrant for years and have NEVER had to alter the nut slot in any way. I've switched several ukes back and forth depending on my preference and it's never been an issue, but I suppose it depends on the uke and on the strings. Might be more of a problem for thicker fluorocarbon non-wound low G, but I don't use those.

But yes - the only sensible solution is a second uke :)

Just for the record, I've played both low G and reentrant for years and have NEVER had to alter the nut slot in any way. I've switched several ukes back and forth depending on my preference and it's never been an issue, but I suppose it depends on the uke and on the strings. Might be more of a problem for thicker fluorocarbon non-wound low G, but I don't use those.

But yes - the only sensible solution is a second uke :)

The only time I had a problem wasn't with a fluorocarbon string - they are thinner than equivalent nylon or nylon composite strings. It was with an Aquila Red low G on my Brueko tenor and it was the bridge slot that was the problem. Fluorocarbon low G is fine on that uke. I have all fluorocarbon strings on my 6 & 8 string ukes and that includes a low G on the 8 string and a low A on the 6 string and again no problems.

My experience with wound strings is mixed. The wound strings on my baritone only lasted a few weeks and I replaced them with a Living Water Baritone set.

Last edited:
Top Bottom