Fist Uke

Pukelele

Reaction score
Hi. First Uke not Fist (I guess that's something more Hollywood).

New Year's resolution is to play Uke ;) . . and now I've finally got rid of the hangover (yeah, 10 days later - I'm getting old) it's time to get a Uke. . . as I obviously can't play what I don't have.

So, I'm looking for a recommendation. Obviously the temptation is to go with the cheapest available (more or less 20euros) BUT I heard the really cheap ones are terrible and go out of tune really quickly and easily.
Then again, budget is a concern, as I'm quite poor :(

So, please let me know what you recommend.

Also I should state importantly that I'm in Europe - so would need to buy from somewhere here and also that I'm a man with man hands (if that makes a difference to the size of Uke I should get).

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year to everyone. Let's Uke This!

Last edited:
What country? The important thing is to find a vendor that does a proper setup. As to the size, find a music store that has some and try them out. I'm guessing you'll want at least a concert size, but probably tenor. Happy hunting!

I have normal man sized hands, & I found the concert scale best to learn on, neither cramped nor too big a stretch. :)
I always recommend Kala or Ohana for a first uke, bought from somewhere that will set it up properly.
Several other Europeans have bought from the Southern Ukulele Store here in the UK, as have I myself, worth taking a look.
http://www.southernukulelestore.co.uk/

Hi.

What do you mean when you say 'set it up properly'? :eek:

I'm in Spain.

They will make sure it has the strings at a suitable height at both the nut & the saddle, make sure there are no buzzing strings, the fret edges are smooth, etc. Not all sellers do this, & may charge extra to do it, if it is found to be necessary.

If you do get a factory made instrument like a Kala or an Ohana it is important to get the setup done. The instrument may not have desirable sound or action without a setup.

I had a good experience buying from Mim through ebay. She does setups on all the ukes she sells.

I'm thinking about getting a Kala KA-C (concert size). . it's at the very top end of my price range (around £110) . .

It seems to have reasonable reviews.

I'm thinking about getting a Kala KA-C (concert size). . it's at the very top end of my price range (around £110) . .

It seems to have reasonable reviews.

As you mention pounds rather than dollars there’s a good chance that you’re in the U.K. (Edit. except in #4 above you say you’re in Spain, expat?) I’ve got and had several Kala and Makala products and they’re fine for the money. The KA-C should be just fine for you as a starter and for several years afterwards, fit Martin M600 Strings on it at some point. I cannot recommend a mail order retailer as two big name ones that claim to set up Ukes before despatch both failed me, thankfully setting up a Uke isn’t that hard once you get started. The price quoted (£110) seems high to me and there’s an as new one on eBay at the moment with offers invited .....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kala-KA-...880104?hash=item25eaab3a68:g:7PIAAOSwMl9aWpAO Offers, note postage is extra.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kala-KA-...692208&hash=item5b3b00ff80:g:uYcAAOSwrklVCWb1. New, note postage included.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Hi Pukelele,

A million to one shot but when you say you are in Spain you wouldn’t happen to be in Fuerteventura would you ?

I have a concert sized uke in Fuerte which I am looking to sell. It’s not the best instrument in the world but it is in perfect condition and would cost £90 new. I only want £40 for it.

But in all probability you will be somewhere else in the country and shipping isn’t really an option.

Rgds,

Ernie

The Kala is probably a fine way to start.
I started with their slightly cheaper Makala MK C. That worked OK for me, and the Kala KA C is probably a bit better. It is also a plus that the headstock logo looks less silly, so you are more likely to keep playing it.
As suggested, buy from a good vendor.
I ounce bought a uke from German vendor Thomann - not impressed, through the brand is not always bad.
Southern ukulele store I got som better ukes from.

How about a tuner? I read that ukes go out of tune quite easily and that it's best to use a clip on tuner. A cheap one? I see they start from around 3euros.

The Kala is probably a fine way to start.
I started with their slightly cheaper Makala MK C. That worked OK for me, and the Kala KA C is probably a bit better. It is also a plus that the headstock logo looks less silly, so you are more likely to keep playing it.
As suggested, buy from a good vendor.
I ounce bought a uke from German vendor Thomann - not impressed, through the brand is not always bad.
Southern ukulele store I got som better ukes from.

What is the actual problem with the vendors regarding ukes? If there's a problem with a uke, isn't that down to the manufacturer? The vendors just sell the product that's already been made, right? or am I missing something here?

As for the set-up. I don't get what to ask for.

How about a tuner? I read that ukes go out of tune quite easily and that it's best to use a clip on tuner. A cheap one? I see they start from around 3euros.

Unless you can tune by ear, you should get one.
Most People here recommend the snark brand.

What is the actual problem with the vendors regarding ukes? If there's a problem with a uke, isn't that down to the manufacturer? The vendors just sell the product that's already been made, right? or am I missing something here?

As for the set-up. I don't get what to ask for.

I have been told that many manufacturers have inferior instruments passing through their controls, but that a dedicated shop would try the instruments and return the duds, while a big warehouse will just pass them on.
It is mostly stuff I read in this forum, but I didnt like that uke I got.

Your contract is with the vendor, not the manufacturer, & they are responsible for selling merchantable quality.

A Snark tuner I bought over two years ago is still going strong for me; I bought another make & it was so slow to respond that I gave it away.

I have been told that many manufacturers have inferior instruments passing through their controls, but that a dedicated shop would try the instruments and return the duds, while a big warehouse will just pass them on.
It is mostly stuff I read in this forum, but I didnt like that uke I got.

Did you ask them to 'set it up'?

Ok. I've been doing too much talking and already it's passed into it's 2nd week (I did say I'd get a uke last week).

So I'm going to go for the Kala that I've already mentioned. I've also stayed in for the last 2 weekends (small sacrifices) to help make up the extra cost of not getting the cheapest.

Tuners then . . . I was looking at the brand mentioned here.

I've found a snark st-8 (around 13-14e) and a snark st-2 (around 13-15e). I can't find much difference between the 2 - I'm not even sure which is a better model as some venders have one at a higher price than the other and others the opposite :-o. Though the ST-2 does say integrated mic, where the ST-8 just says integrated mic). I like the idea of a clip-on tuner that also has a built in metronome (especially as I'll be in Spain until at least April and have the possibility to practice outside during the warmest part of the afternoon on some days currently 14-19c)
Any thoughts on these? Too much? Too little?

Anyway, here are the amazon links:

https://www.amazon.com/Snark-ST-8-S...TF8&qid=1516715293&sr=1-1&keywords=snark+st-8

https://www.amazon.com/Snark-ST-8-S...id=1516715293&sr=1-1&keywords=snark+st-8&th=1

These do say GUITAR tuners. So I'm just presuming they will be okay for ukes (especially at that price)??

Thanks again.

Last edited:
I think any clip on tuner would work. Mine is TU-01 Boss one, about 15 euros.

About metronomes, It is something that you don't need in my opinion. Ukulele is mostly about strumming and there you have your "metronome", keeping an even strumming pace.

Guitarists some times go over board in trying build their chops as fast as they can and for soloing. To measure how fast they can solo lol. That is where the metronome is needed. You as a beginner are not in that stage if ever needed. :)

Top Bottom