Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Liking my Outdoor Ukulele - want another

Default Liking my Outdoor Ukulele - want another

My wonderful wife bought me an Outdoor Tenor Ukulele for x-mas, and while I haven't done a NUD it, perhaps this will partially be that. My conclusion seems to be similar to many reviews I've seen floating around. I quite like the way it plays, it feels very sturdy, and I actually do dig the sound (though I know it's a different beast than my solid wood instruments). I have yet to put it through it's paces in the outdoor world, but know it will be coming with me on many trips in the years to come. It has been getting quite a bit of playing as I can just leave it out and grab it as I walk by (cases, Colorado, dry as bones..)

All of this to say that I am really tempted to grab a soprano version. For quick airplane trips with only a backpack, I'll throw in my Kala Longneck soprano and always kind of worry that I'll accidentally destroy it someday (it's already been beaten up quite a bit, but still plays well!).

Has anyone played both the soprano and tenor that could give their opinion of the soprano? Does the soprano play as well? Sound decent as well? I've read quite a few reviews and done some research on the site and see that people usually like them more than the Watermans, but I haven't come across a comparison of the Tenor to the Soprano...Thoughts?

I've played on both tenor and soprano models. I would say they are equal in terms of quality, playability, tone, etc. Of course they each have their own tone and feel due to being different sizes and scale lengths. I'm just saying I don't think one is better than the other; they're just different. I feel it's worth the price charged.
    Last edited by jer; 01-10-2018 at 04:09 PM. Reason: changed something

ahoy

have second version soprano
    feels nice, easy to play
    sound better than OK
    is very sturdy

it spent the better part
    of this summer living
    in a car
    without hurting it one bit

yours truly
    mac

jer, thanks for the breakdown - tenor is my preferred scale but on trips we usually pack ultra light. I guess I was just concerned that the playability may be different for some reason. And I wanted validation to buy another uke.

dinghy - I too was surprised by the sound quality of the tenor. And the action is just great on mine.

OK, that settles it, two endorsements and I'm in!

Just a few minutes ago ordered a green soprano. I wasn't going to let myself get another uke until April, but $95 is painless. This will be my car uke.
    Ordered it with 2 strap buttons.
    Last edited by TobyDog; 01-11-2018 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyD View Post
    jer, thanks for the breakdown - tenor is my preferred scale but on trips we usually pack ultra light. I guess I was just concerned that the playability may be different for some reason. And I wanted validation to buy another uke.

dinghy - I too was surprised by the sound quality of the tenor. And the action is just great on mine.

OK, that settles it, two endorsements and I'm in!
    No problem. It's the same design on both, just different scales and body sizes.
    It is certainly lighter and more portable than the tenor. If I go a while without playing a soprano I'm always surprised at how small it feels at first. Once I've had it for just a bit, it doesn't feel so small anymore though.
    I disliked the original soprano they made, but decided to give the tenor a try after they came out with it. I really liked it a lot. I was also in your position of wondering about the soprano (the 2nd and current version of it). I was hoping it was as good as the tenor, and it did meet my expectations. Hopefully it will meet yours too.

Quote Originally Posted by TobyDog View Post
    Just a few minutes ago ordered a green soprano. I wasn't going to let myself get another uke until April, but for only $95 it feels free. This will be my car uke.
    Ordered it with 2 strap buttons.
    Awesome. It's very worthy of the price, in my opinion.

I had mine listed for sale on the marketplace here for about a day...but changed my mind. No uke is completely safe with me, so it might still go...depending on how into some other uke I get...but I do really like these a lot...

One other thing: I think the D'addario fluorocarbon strings that come on them is fine, but I prefer Worth CL. I know strings are very personal. Since you can't make adjustments on this uke, due to it being all molded, I just think some strings work better than others as far as intonation and tuning and such.
    Last edited by jer; 01-11-2018 at 08:26 AM.

These are good values - psychologically it's under $100 for a good USA-made uke. Get it, you know you want it.
    I have had the tenor and soprano versions and they're both very nice. I preferred the tenor but you can't go wrong.
    If anyone has any string recommendations to make these louder though, let me know. My only minor gripe was that they're a little on the quiet side, presumably due to the plastic material. Aquilas would be my guess.
    "If a lot of people play the ukulele, the world would be a better place to live."

I also ordered a green soprano. Upgraded the tuners and got one strap button. Tracking says it arrives tomorrow, and I'm really excited
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck View Post
    I also ordered a green soprano. Upgraded the tuners and got one strap button. Tracking says it arrives tomorrow, and I'm really excited
    How long from the time you ordered it?
    I'm really excited too, I have no idea yet how long it'll be.

Default Mods

Awaiting a tenor. I see PeteyMike64 on youtube installed an Ebony saddle. He stacked two ebony saddles in front of the bridge to make the saddle slightly higher than the existing saddle, making it the primary saddle/string contact point. Anyone else try any mods? I plan on doing the same saddle mod with some bone to see if there is any change in volume/resonance.

Thread Information