Liking my Outdoor Ukulele - want another

Has anyone switched out the gear tuners to friction pegs? I don't mind the look of the gears just wonder if the friction would do be less prone to snag on stuff while hiking and the like. Just a thought I had.

I saw chiorguys's video and liked the look of the pegs.
Ordered a green one for my brother in law as a late Christmas gift/thanks for getting me started with ukulele. The sound is quieter than any uke I own so I ordered a blue one last week for myself that will be here tomorrow.

Has anyone switched out the gear tuners to friction pegs? I don't mind the look of the gears just wonder if the friction would do be less prone to snag on stuff while hiking and the like. Just a thought I had.

I saw chiorguys's video and liked the look of the pegs.
Ordered a green one for my brother in law as a late Christmas gift/thanks for getting me started with ukulele. The sound is quieter than any uke I own so I ordered a blue one last week for myself that will be here tomorrow.

Not sure if you can, since the headstock, like the neck, is apparently hollow, making changes like that more problematic.

Last edited:
Has anyone played both the soprano and tenor that could give their opinion of the soprano? Does the soprano play as well? Sound decent as well? I've read quite a few reviews and done some research on the site and see that people usually like them more than the Watermans, but I haven't come across a comparison of the Tenor to the Soprano...Thoughts?

The main gripe I have about my Outdoor Ukulele soprano (2nd generation) is the fact that when playing certain chords the headstock digs into my fretting hand a bit. Kinda hurts, but not enough to make me not want to buy the tenor too...

The main gripe I have about my Outdoor Ukulele soprano (2nd generation) is the fact that when playing certain chords the headstock digs into my fretting hand a bit. Kinda hurts, but not enough to make me not want to buy the tenor too...

I think it plays nicely and sounds nice too. It's just a little bit soft. If you're by yourself or singing along, it's fine. If you were in a group, you might need a pickup or something, and for me, getting a pickup installed would defeat the purpose of the outdoors. I do want a tenor, though. I might take them both to California this summer, as I'll be both on the beach and in mountains. My mother in law has started playing some, so I need two, right??? ;)

....If you're by yourself or singing along, it's fine. If you were in a group, you might need a pickup or something, and for me, getting a pickup installed would defeat the purpose of the outdoors....

I had an Outdoor tenor with a pickup, and found that it picked up every little noise, swoosh or bump, much more so than a wooden uke. YMMV.

Not sure if you can, since the headstock, like the neck, is apparently hollow, making changes like that more problematic.

Thanks. After playing with it a bit its not bad. I wouldnt mind the extra space on head stock, primarily while I am learning the B cord, but its not bad.

What's the appeal of the $100 Outdoor vs the $50 Waterman?

IMO, just about everything. I like the build and the sound quality better. Not that the sound is outstanding, but it's good. It's a heavier, sturdier instrument. I didn't care for the first generation model of outdoor, but with 2, they fixed the things I didn't care for.

1) Design. The Outdoor Ukulele (current models) were supposedly based off of the measurements from a well respected ukulele builder. As a result intonation and set-up are very, very good.

2) Sound. Waterman, Bugsgear, and Woodli ukuleles, made of ABS, have a plastic sound. Some Waterman are okay—others have been atrocious with intonation and action. The Outdoor doesn’t sound as if it is made of wood, but it does sound different than the ABS ukuleles.

3) Durability. The Outdoor can withstand 240°F to -40°F. Waterman and Bugsgear have a very attainable point (in the sun in a hot car) where they can melt.

@Jerryc41, in short, everything. ;)

I have played both now for a a fair bit (meaning, longer than going into a shop for a couple of minutes). The Kala Waterman I had was ATROCIOUS! I mean awful. The tone was terrible but it was the action that made it virtually unplayable for me. It was so high that (I'm not kidding or exaggerating), when you'd fret the strings they would no longer be in line in front of the sound hole and it was nearly impossible to strum every string consistently. You could clearly see this if you looked down across the strings in front of the soundhole. It drove me mad and really, really frustrated me. I was worried that it was my playing but would tell myself it wasn't. It was also terrible in that, the notes were so "off" (likely because of the action?) that I couldn't tell if certain chords were correct or not. I even tested it with a tuner. For instance, once I got the strings in tune for that playing session, I could play the open "C" string then play the "A" string fretted to "C". It should be an easy octave apart. But it was so "off" that the tuner read it almost going past C#. Also, it wouldn't stay in tune. I'm not just meaning during the string stretching phase, as expected, but in the nearly month that I had the chance to try it, I couldn't keep it in tune for as much as a day, sometimes less. Also, I tried things like playing "D" (2220) as a partial barre chord, rather than 3 fingers together and it was completely impossible. But I didn't realize why till I received my Outdoor Ukulele.

In contrast, the OU is fantastic. The action is so low, it's mind blowing. By far, it's the easiest uke to play of any I've tried (and while I'm no expert and still very much a newbie, I have taken the advice of these forums and gone to my local music shops to play as many ukes as I can, which has been quite a few). It takes less pressure on the strings to get the perfect ring and the strings are perfectly in line in front of the soundhole when fretting. So, the issues I was having with the Kala, completely disappeared on the OU and suddenly, the songs I had been struggling with due to missing strings while strumming, I could play without difficulty. The notes down the fretboard are perfectly in tune so unlike the Kala where it was very sharp, the OU is dead on (again, checked with a tuner). As others have mentioned, while the OU doesn't sound exactly like wood, it doesn't sound like plastic either. I think it's because of the way it's made. The polycarbonate they use has either glass (standard) or carbon fiber strands inside the poly to give additional rigidity. But, what this also does is effectively, give it a "grain", similar to wood. So, I think it has more resonance for that reason. It is definitely stronger, more durable, and much better built than the Waterman. You can feel it.

I actually have one of the carbon sopranos (from what they told me, it was the first one ordered, kinda fun!). I do feel I can hear the difference in the "brightness". In fact, if I were to have been asked, I would have said it's more than 15% brighter than the original. It's just slightly lighter weight than the glass filled (with two strap buttons, it is exactly 15oz). I'm working on a more comprehensive review to share.

When comparing things, I try to objectively look at the items and ask, "is the $100 item 2x better than the $50 item?" Often, it might not be. In the case of the OU vs Waterman, I would say it's much more than 2x better. Playing the Waterman, I absolutely understood why people say not to get too cheap of a uke to start with. If I had to stick with the Waterman, I would likely have quit. It was just SO frustrating to play. I was surprised because I thought it would be great from some of the reviews I had seen. In fact, I wondered how much difference I'd see vs the OU but they are worlds apart. Hope that helps!

@Ctmpwrdcamry, have you contacted OU to ask? They can be a little bit difficult to catch via phone but I've talked to them a few times and they are incredibly nice and very knowledgeable. I'm just wondering if you mentioned it to them, if they could answer that more accurately. I know they initially used friction tuners but they didn't stay in tune (hence the switch to geared) but a different type of friction might well work. I had kind of wondered if that wouldn't be a benefit to that style (not catching on things as much). Right now, I'm really happy with the precision ground tuners that it has but I'd be interested to hear what you find. Please share on the forums if you find out more. :)

That's interesting. I haven't had that issue at all on my OU Soprano. I wonder if there's a difference with the new tuners or if it's just hand shape or something else?

@joshsimpson79, I have a few different strings arriving tomorrow to try on my OU Carbon Soprano. They were supposed to arrive today but I'm not freaking out about having to wait one more day for them! Or maybe I am...

Since the OUs aren't supposed to be used with wound strings, I purchased the Aquila Red Soprano High-G Set, with the Aquila Low-G unwound single string. This setup only set me back around $7 total right now as Strings and Beyond is doing a special right now with free shipping, no minimum order. However, I wanted to try a couple more options. So, since the strings that came on the uke are fluorocarbon, I also added a single string Low-G Worth Clear, and a set of D'Addario Low-G Tenor fluoro strings, which I read that OU has used on sopranos before. This gives me a few different options to try for different sounds in both Low-G and High-G, plus I can compare the stock D'Addario Fluorocarbon Pro-Arte Soprano specific with the same in a Tenor Low-G. I've read that one can use Tenor on Soprano and some folks apparently do this simply because in some string lines (like Worth, I believe), you can get 3 soprano string changes out of one packet. I'm interested to see how similar or different they are. It would be interesting to worry less about the "size" the strings are made for and would open up additional options. I also hope to try Living Waters, PhD, Fremont, etc, at some point, as well. I think the Aquila Red is going to increase the projection and volume, at least that's what I've heard they do for the OU.

By the way, I have no affiliation whatsoever with Strings and Beyond but they were nice and my first transaction was smooth. The free shipping w/ no minimum definitely improved the deal. Just wanting to pass that along.

Last edited:
Semi thread jack warning!!!!!

What strings do people like on there OU tenors?
I've got a carbon black tenor coming soon.
Thanks!

@Ctmpwrdcamry, have you contacted OU to ask? They can be a little bit difficult to catch via phone but I've talked to them a few times and they are incredibly nice and very knowledgeable. I'm just wondering if you mentioned it to them, if they could answer that more accurately. I know they initially used friction tuners but they didn't stay in tune (hence the switch to geared) but a different type of friction might well work. I had kind of wondered if that wouldn't be a benefit to that style (not catching on things as much). Right now, I'm really happy with the precision ground tuners that it has but I'd be interested to hear what you find. Please share on the forums if you find out more. :)

I have not been able to catch them on the phone, but they said the only issue would be the holes left for the gear tubers mount. I also saw on Facebook that they said the gears were easier to clean because they are open, rather than stacked washers. Maybe some day I’ll switch and see, but right now it’s just fun to play.

Last edited:
There is another problem I'm becoming aware of that is pretty unique to Outdoor Ukuleles... How the heck to you ever settle on a COLOR?!?

Always bet on Black?

The black is bad to the bone, but I really like the way the others glow when the sunshine hits them! I'm intrigued by the blue, but really wish it had a black fretboard.

We got ours!

outdoor uke.jpg

The ukulele is about what everyone says, nice, not too loud and perfectly set up.
The side fret board was a pleasant surprise. Its wider than my Magic Fluke concert, though the string spacing is less.
Still it the only normal ukulele that we have that I can stack a D chord (2220). Probably the combination of tenor width and
1.5" nut.
I like it, now we wished we bought that barely used soprano that was up for grabs last week.
Its going to be and absolutely perfect car ukulele.

Attachments

• outdoor ukulele .jpg
    outdoor ukulele .jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
We got ours!

View attachment 108215

The ukulele is about what everyone says, nice, not too loud and perfectly set up.
The side fret board was a pleasant surprise. Its wider than my Magic Fluke concert, though the string spacing is less.
Still it the only normal ukulele that we have that I can stack a D chord (2220). Probably the combination of tenor width and
1.5" nut.
I like it, now we wished we bought that barely used soprano that was up for grabs last week.
Its going to be and absolutely perfect car ukulele.

That looks pretty slick. Getting roof put on house soon. Must...resist...temptation...

Top Bottom