Banjo uke in low g

Ukulelerick9255

Reaction score
Considering buying a banjo uke. I play my Tenor uke in low g and wondered how low g and high g compare on a banjo uke.

Well I'm sure you could do it, but somehow it just seems like a crime against nature to put low G on a banjo uke. I have low G on my two regular ukes, but have kept a high G on my Magic Fluke Tenor Firefly. It just sounds right.

I've never done it either on any banjo uke that I own/have owned. I am not a fan of low G in general, and I'm guessing I would be even less so on a banjolele.... However, I'm interested to hear your thoughts if you do it.

Replying to see what others say. I wanted to try low G on my tenor GoldTone but couldn't due to the tailpiece not accepting a fat G string. Traded it for a chambered body to try something else different. If I ever get another banjo uke it will probably be ordered with low G (or low A more likely) in mind.

As a builder of banjo ukes I believe they are at their best with high g, or in other words, sounding like a banjo uke should sound. However, if low G is your bag, go for it, just don't be surprised if it don't sound like it should.

I owned a vintage (I guess 1930s or so) "Tonella" banjo ukulele until recently which was evidently designed to take a low G, as the hole for that string in the tail-piece was that much larger than the other three, as was the friction tuner! I never played it with a low G myself as I play left-handed so I can't tell you what it sounded like in that configuration. The banjo uke itself was rubbish quality - the frets were very visibly unevenly-spaced so intonation was always awful. I eventually sold it at a car boot sale in the hope that somebody would stick it on the wall as a decoration and never torture anyone by playing it again.

Top Bottom