Thread: Banjo uke in low g

Default Banjo uke in low g

Considering buying a banjo uke. I play my Tenor uke in low g and wondered how low g and high g compare on a banjo uke.

Well I'm sure you could do it, but somehow it just seems like a crime against nature to put low G on a banjo uke. I have low G on my two regular ukes, but have kept a high G on my Magic Fluke Tenor Firefly. It just sounds right.

I've never done it either on any banjo uke that I own/have owned. I am not a fan of low G in general, and I'm guessing I would be even less so on a banjolele.... However, I'm interested to hear your thoughts if you do it.
    "If a lot of people play the ukulele, the world would be a better place to live."

Replying to see what others say. I wanted to try low G on my tenor GoldTone but couldn't due to the tailpiece not accepting a fat G string. Traded it for a chambered body to try something else different. If I ever get another banjo uke it will probably be ordered with low G (or low A more likely) in mind.
    Current Stable:
    -Ohana TKS-15E - Eb cuatro
    -Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - Bb, SC SMU
    -Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    -KPK pineapple SLN-GCEA
    -Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    -Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    -Imua iET-Bb, M600
    -Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    -Rogue bari
    -Bonanza super tenor, FBL cFAD
    Once upon a time:
    -RISA Concert Stick
    -Bruko sop. custom #6
    -Lanikai lam hog bari
    -Kala SLNG
    -Bruko bari
    -Gold Tone BUT

Jim's Blog

As a builder of banjo ukes I believe they are at their best with high g, or in other words, sounding like a banjo uke should sound. However, if low G is your bag, go for it, just don't be surprised if it don't sound like it should.
    Kind Regards
    Dennis

dpophotography@yahoo.co.nz
    Southern Cross Instruments
    New Zealand

I owned a vintage (I guess 1930s or so) "Tonella" banjo ukulele until recently which was evidently designed to take a low G, as the hole for that string in the tail-piece was that much larger than the other three, as was the friction tuner! I never played it with a low G myself as I play left-handed so I can't tell you what it sounded like in that configuration. The banjo uke itself was rubbish quality - the frets were very visibly unevenly-spaced so intonation was always awful. I eventually sold it at a car boot sale in the hope that somebody would stick it on the wall as a decoration and never torture anyone by playing it again.

Thread Information