Building in progress "Kimo super concert"

The top is now glued to the back and sides. The center strip in the back is maple and black, I love how the maple is a creamy color instead of stark white. Bindings and purfling on the top and bottom with a tail graft will be next to do on the body.

IMG_20180116_094457562.jpgIMG_20180116_094445030.jpg

Last edited:
The top is now glued to the back and sides. The center strip in the back is maple and black, I love how the maple is a creamy color instead of stark white. Bindings and purfling top and bottom with a tail graft will be next to do on the body.

Wow Dave, both woods look fantastic-you sure picked the right redwood! The difference from the the raw samples to the construction phase never ceases to amaze me. Love that center strip. Excitement must be intensifying.

Coming in a little late on this..... OMG! What fabulous woods, cant wait to see it finished and to hear a sound sample.
Congratulations on whats going to be one exquisite Uke!

Coming in a little late on this..... OMG! What fabulous woods, cant wait to see it finished and to hear a sound sample.
Congratulations on whats going to be one exquisite Uke!

Better late than never as they say. Thanks for the nice comments, love your user name, are you a cook?

Got the lastest update picture. The body has one coat of sealer. Will need to be sanded down than mutliple coats of finish applied.

IMG_20180206_080242329.jpg

Great build progress pictures. Beautiful work by Hank. Curious as to the body depth. While it’s hard to tell exactly from the pictures, it seems the body is maybe a bit deeper than most concerts. That should make for a little more bass, and a nice sounding super concert.

Great build progress pictures. Beautiful work by Hank. Curious as to the body depth. While it’s hard to tell exactly from the pictures, it seems the body is maybe a bit deeper than most concerts. That should make for a little more bass, and a nice sounding super concert.

Thanks so much Hodge. It is hard to tell by that picture but you have a good eye. The body shape is similar to a Kamaka and it is a bit deeper than most concerts. More bass and resonace is exactly what I was after. I will start it out strung low G.

Got the lastest update picture. The body has one coat of sealer. Will need to be sanded down than mutliple coats of finish applied.

View attachment 106541
Gorgeous Dave - you picked the woods so well! The body does look very deep. I swear that makes a huge difference....my Kinnard soprano is 3 inches deep where some of my other sopranos are as little as 2 1/4 inches. Yours is going to sound amazing - to match it's looks.

I am having a Misi pick up installed in this super concert with the tone and volume control wheels. Hank will mount them at the side sound port so he sent this picture of the freshly cut sound port. This is bigger than he usually does, it like it. I also really like the fact that the uke is still covered in saw dust, real woodworkers make saw dust.

IMG_20180212_125956365.jpg

Top Bottom