FS: New Soprano Rosewwod Ukulele by Black Bear

BlackBearUkes

Reaction score
I am re-listing this uke because it was returned. It did not meet the buyers needs. I have also done some small refinishing in areas I thought needed attention. It is in new condition, plays great and sounds wonderful with clear ringing trebles and excellent sustain. I have no more of this rosewood so act soon, there won't be any more.

Here is a new soprano size uke I recently completed. It is made of 30 year old colorful Brazilian Rosewood for the body, head plate, fingerboard and bridge. The top and back plates are a single piece of rosewood. The neck is Mango wood with a truss rod. Although the mango does have worm holes, there are no worms, very unique looking wood. There are 12 frets to the body, 18 total. A Herringbone strip runs down the length of the head plate and fingerboard. White vinyl is used for the bindings and rosette ring. The fret dots are also white vinyl with white side dots. The nut has a width of 1 3/8". Bone nut and bridge saddle. Grover brand geared tuners with plastic cream-colored knobs. Aquila brand strings. The bridge is the string through type. The playing scale is 13 3/4". High gloss nitro-lacquer finish hand rubbed to a satin smooth touch and look. The neck heel and back of the head have been shaded a dark color to match the rich chocolate colored rosewood of the body. Low easy playing action and a very full rich mellow sound with excellent volume and intonation. Your complete satisfaction is guaranteed. No case but I will double box for safe shipping. Made in the USA. $25 shipping in the USA lower 48 states, cannot be shipped outside the US. Payment by money order, personal check or bank draft only, no Paypal. Email me if you need more information. Thanks for looking.

$800

Attachments

• 2018-1-10 Brazilian-a.jpg
    2018-1-10 Brazilian-a.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 355
  • 2018-1-10 Brazilian-b.jpg
    2018-1-10 Brazilian-b.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 319
  • 2018-1-10 Brazilian-d.jpg
    2018-1-10 Brazilian-d.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 269
  • 2018-1-10 Brazilian-c.jpg
    2018-1-10 Brazilian-c.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
Duane, that is a beauty!

I will take it if hold situation doesn’t work out!

Wowsies.
Via a bad debt, I have a 1967 triple O Martin guitar that is somewhat of a holy grail with its Brazilian rosewood back and sides...
This one might very well be the same kind of heirloom in another 50 years!
Interested in what kind of sound that top makes.
I hope the owner posts a soundbite for us!

Very cool!
It's really neat seeing builders like yourself "mimicking" old Martin and Nunes ukuleles. Awesome.

I never heard of another instrument using rosewood as the soundboard ... isn't it too hard to vibrate freely? It sure is a beauty though!

Normally BZ rosewood would be considered too hard for a string musical instrument top plate. Ukes are different, and a variety of hardwoods work well for ukes where they would not work well for a guitar. This is the second uke I have made using BZ rosewood for the top plate and it works well. This uke has good volume and a some what mellow tone with clear highs. I find it very pleasing and the look is unique. Thanks for asking.

I never heard of another instrument using rosewood as the soundboard ... isn't it too hard to vibrate freely? It sure is a beauty though!

It's lovely, Duane, and I'm so happy for you that it sold quickly!

Top Bottom