Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baritone 'Ukulele: What Resources Are Needed/Wanted?

Default Baritone 'Ukulele: What Resources Are Needed/Wanted?

Aloha gang,

Looking at starting up a baritone 'ukulele-specific website. There's very little good info out there and it seems a shame.

Hoping you can help me brainstorm some content to focus on. Here are my ideas so far:

- Strings (should be easy to cover most since there are relatively few bari sets)
    - Basic baritone chords (also thinking of creating a "baritone edition" of my book, 'Ukulele Chord Shapes. All the content is already universal, but I figure it would be more fun for baris with DGBE examples.)
    - Tuning a baritone/tuning variations
    - Electric baritones
    - Transposing to and from baritone tuning and how to adapt current GCEA uke resources.

(Think I'm going to avoid doing tabs since A. I don't enjoy tabbing as much anymore, B. there's already a lot of good stuff that can be transposed, and C. it's a matter of time before they really start to crack down on DCMA infringements.)

Any and all ideas are appreciated! Nothing is written/filmed yet. Figure it's smart to do some homework first and build a site people will want to read instead of guessing. Fire away!
    Brad Bordessa
    Webmaster of Live 'Ukulele.com
    Admin for The Ukulele Way
    Author of 'Ukulele Chord Shapes

My answers to some FAQs: How to figure out a song - High-g/Low-G - What uke should I get? - Pickups

Thanks for thinking about doing this. About last March I bought my first Baritone. I played Tenors for several years before. Now I play mostly Baritone, partly because I like the sound and partly because in the groups I play with I am generally the only Baritone and it adds to the sound. Although there are some resources out there for Baritones most resources have a Soprano tuned ukuleles. If there are some tricks to taking information written for Soprano tuning and easily adapt it to Baritone tuning that would be helpful.

I just transpose tabs written for low g tuning. Have also found baritone ukulele aerobics quintessential to my personal progress, and fingering the 'full chord' rather than relying on the bottom 3 to get sh@#T done.
    But totally agree, seems such a round-about of achieving something that you'd think given it's popularity would have something more dGBE specific.
    if you build it they will come!

Check out
    humblebaritonics.blogspot.com

I'm fairly certain he's a member on here.
    "If a lot of people play the ukulele, the world would be a better place to live."

Quote Originally Posted by igorthebarbarian View Post
    Check out
    humblebaritonics.blogspot.com

I'm fairly certain he's a member on here.
    I agree that is one of the best resources for Baritone ukuleles at the present time. I refer to it often.

I have used my Bari to play Dylan songs and some other serious/dark numbers that a Soprano seems too cheerfull for.
    Side note I was at a workhsop Brad did at the Kahumoleu 'Ohana 2010 at Pahala, Hawaii.
    Incorporated it into an alternate verse for Island Style.

Great idea, Hippie Guy! Another baritone lover here too. Perhaps another topic could be 'conversions'. I am currently using a baritone converted to more of a nylon string Irish tenor guitar, or 4 string octave mandolin - tuning being the fifths, GDAE. I'm also contemplating getting an 8 string baritone to convert it closer to the octave mandolin.

besides the obvious differences between the Keys, you may want to clarify how playing a
    Baritone (DGBE) differs from playing a ukulele with a 'Low G' - that is, if there are real
    differences besides the Key

if what you want to share with Baritone (DGBE) players can be adopted by 'Low G' players,
    you will be able to reach many more players... as long as they understand the differences,
    besides Key, between the Baritone and their Low G instruments

keep uke'in',
    Uncle Rod Higuchi
    ( rohiguchi@seattleschools.org )

MP3s: http://www.mediafire.com/?50db7nls4o6m6
    Ukulele Boot Camp, FREE Songbook, Holiday, Hawaiian & More: http://ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com
    Crazy G tutorial on YouTube ( uncle rod crazy g )
    pdf file for Crazy G:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0o6id06c06...20TAB.pdf?dl=0

Awesome! I would like to see some content about fingerstyle and classical music for baritone. Most everything seems to be written for GCEA with reentrant tuning, and it's definitely a missing groupsource from what I've seen so far.

Bradd

Mahalo for the feedback! Gives me some ideas where to go first. It'll be a few months to get it all together, but I'll post a link when the site goes live. In the meantime, if any other requests pop up, keep them coming. I'll be banging on my keyboard if you need me...
    Brad Bordessa
    Webmaster of Live 'Ukulele.com
    Admin for The Ukulele Way
    Author of 'Ukulele Chord Shapes

My answers to some FAQs: How to figure out a song - High-g/Low-G - What uke should I get? - Pickups

Thread Information