Baritone 'Ukulele: What Resources Are Needed/Wanted?

Brad,
Here's what I would like in a baritone book: a perspective of why I should learn the new shapes. I've had a baritone for a year and I play it like a big soprano. I just use the same old shapes I've always used. Of course that means when I think I'm playing in C, I am actually playing in...G, I think. Someone with so much education and experience should be able to discuss why this is wrong and how I am not exploiting the essential qualities that are inherent to the baritone. So yes, I would like chords like everyone else...but I also would like something a little more philosophical as well in the introduction.

This surely comes down to if you are playing with another instrument or not. If you are just playing alone, it doesn't matter if you are reading chord forms in C or G. If you are accompanying another instrument, then you need to be sure you are in the correct key. If I misunderstood the post, I apologize.

I jumped on some dirt-cheap hosting yesterday (my only Black Friday purchase I'm happy to say) to get baritoneukulele.net off the ground. Still pretty bare-bones, but it's a start. Probably well before its time, but I'm eager to share it.

https://baritoneukulele.net

Have a peek and let me know what you think.

Obviously I've got to put some chord charts and more on transposing in there, but my biggest questions is:

What else should go on the front page? I'm trying to keep my number of pages to a minimum so it's easy to navigate. That means being efficient with each page. What are the main things a home page should address?

Keep rockin' them big ukes!

Last edited:
Great start. I am excited to watch it develope over time. I started out playing Tenor scaled ukuleles, and still do from time to time, but mostly I play Baritone now. I am happy for any all Baritone resources.

Looks good, Brad. I would lobby for adding DGBD to the list of alternate tunings. DISCLAIMER: I may be prejudiced about this.

You might want a Tabs page. ;)

No tabs! ;) But I'll link to the ones I know of.

As a brainstorming idea and for those from the Guitar end of the spectrum, consider a section with the heading "Four String Guitar -resources for guitar players".

That's a great excuse to get people thinking outside the box re: materials. There is so much fabulous information out there. I really don't want to reinvent the wheel, just organize what already exists better than it has been in the past.

Looks good, Brad. I would lobby for adding DGBD to the list of alternate tunings. DISCLAIMER: I may be prejudiced about this.

Doh! Can't believe I missed this one!

~

Thanks for the feedback everybody! Helps a ton to have a sounding board for an ongoing work in progress.

My thoughts after viewing webinar recording at UU+: baritone is mostly for fingerpicking; strumming technique should be different. Because strings are longer and with less tension. And Baritone designed for linear DGBE and not for reentrant dGBE. Main goal is "deep tones" so it is DGBE. Here we go: most Baritone players just use the same tunes / strums as for Soprano for instance, and it doesn't work well.

I just ordered Kala KA-ABP-CTG Baritone with Cedar top, mostly for fingerpicking and mellow tones, and for fun.

From Kimo Hussey oldest video, with Baritone you have more opportunity for fretting hand, better to explore whole freatboard, easier to learn three shapes of the same chord.

I also want Baritone with linear DGBE because 2+ octaves between 1st and 4th strings. I want to learn some songs but some notes do not fit smaller range of reentrant gCEA (of course I can try GCEA for that but I don't want)

Many people believe "you can play the same song which you learned for Tenor-Soprano, just in a different key" - I disagree, it is hype, it won't sound nice. And some strumming patterns won't work at all. Sustain is different, dynamic range. Strings are longer :)

Top Bottom