Aquila Concert Uke strings in fifths tuning

bsfloyd

Reaction score
Hello gang! I thought I read somewhere that the Aquila Nylgut Concert sized (31U I think) in fifths tuning (CGDA) also fit on tenor ukuleles. Can someone here confirm this please. I see they offer soprano and concert sets, but thought I read that the concert set also fits tenor. It would be nice to purchase a specific set rather than individuals or from partial sets. Thanks!!

Hello gang! I thought I read somewhere that the Aquila Nylgut Concert sized (31U I think) in fifths tuning (CGDA) also fit on tenor ukuleles. Can someone here confirm this please. I see they offer soprano and concert sets, but thought I read that the concert set also fits tenor. It would be nice to purchase a specific set rather than individuals or from partial sets. Thanks!!

Yes, I've used these strings 31U on tenor in CGDA, and also they are long enough to use on baritone but in GDAE octave-mandolin tuning and both intonate and work well as such.

Have no fear, these are the only pre-made sets for fifths tuning that are available for ukulele at this time.

Another option for CGDA on tenor, is to use ANY low-G string set and switch the C and G strings from gCEA to CgEA, which gives you a re-entrant fifths tuning, but when you first install the strings, the 2nd string which you might have tuned up to E4, you do NOT tune all the way to E4, but stop and tune to D4, hence you can have C4-G3-D4-A4 pitches, and if your are chording, there are not many unisons in this re-entrant fifths tuning setup, which I actually prefer right now on my tenor scale.

Thanks for the confirmation, Booli. I didn't even think about trying them for baritone in octave mandolin tuning - this is my current baritone tuning setup. I have been using a mix of the baritone first string, second string (tuned down to A), with a couple of classical guitar strings for the D and G. I will surely give the 31U a try at next string change for both baritone and tenor.

That is very interesting about the re-entrant fifths tuning, and I am very intrigued to give it a try. It sounds like it would produce a quite unique voice. Do you have a recording of this tuning I could listen to?

I have a set of 31U (concert) that I have and never used. I used to play mandolins and thought it might be fun but never got around to trying. PM me your address and they are yours. If they don’t work you won’t be out anything but time.

Wow! Thank you very much, vanflynn, that is very generous of you! PM on its way...

Top Bottom