Low G: Nylon vos Wound Any Impressions

I use the smooth wound low G from Oasis and the wound low G and wound C from Thomastik-Infeld. The Oasis string is on the boomy side. The Thomastik is more balanced sounding. I agree with Bratz that the "wound third string, even a flatwound Thomastik... The zinging noise caused by my right hand fingers playing on upstrokes " is annoying.

Ive abandoned non-wound low g for a couple reasons.
Primarily I prefer the tension of the wound. It lets me lower the action and still avoid buzzing
Also, wounds are thinner, so you don't have to re-groove the nut.
Also, they project more. Some people say boomy, but that is usually because a wound 4th sticks out, not because its boomy but because it doesn't blend as well.
But if you use a wound 3rd and 4th, the blend is better, and you get a louder fuller sound all all around.

I use TI wound basses. They are quite mellow for a wound string, and they blend very well with a 4th/3rd, and flourocarbon trebles

I play with a wound G(Fremont Soloist) no squeak as it’s a polished string. To avoid it overwhelming the other strings it needs to be combined with a wound C also. I prefer nylon to fluorocarbon strings for E and A and I use D’Addario black nylon. Beau Hannam custom Selmer Macaferri Tenor.
May I ask what you use for your wound C? As a guitarist, I prefer matched basses, but it seems most ukulele sets with wound basses often use silvered copper wound for fourth string and aluminum wound for third.

I started with a baritone uke, and I immediately went with matched basses. But now that I've added concert and tenor, I find I'm spoiled by the all-plain high-g sets. When I haven't played the baritone in a while, I'm shocked by how I have to adjust my right-hand technique to avoid booming on the basses. That said, a plain low-G sounds too thuddy for my ears, so I will go with a wound low-G should I make that change. I expect I'll go further and use a wound C, too.

Last edited:
I really like using the tomastk infeld flat wounds for the g/c. They are mellower than fremont, and blend quite well with flourocarbons.
For tenor at least cf-30/cf-27 for the g/c

Top Bottom