Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New from Texas, howdy everyone!

Congratulations on the new uke! It's the greatest instrument in the world.

Welcome to the forums!!

Welcome to UU. What uke did you get?

Welcome to UU.
    Tenor: Mya Moe 2052, Mya Moe Resonator 1581
    Concert: Hoffmann ML, Oceana Slothead Cutaway, LoPrinzi Nova MS-C, Kanile'a KPA C, Kiwaya KMC-K, Pono RC-C-PC, KoAloha Mango, Waterman KA CWB
    Soprano: Lanikai LU-21(Starter uke!), Kamaka Pineapple 100th Anniversary, Maui Music SK-41 "Pre-Fire", Romero Creations XS, Ohana SK 50G, Zimnicki #20, Makayla Dolphin Light Blue Burst, Fred Shields Oval, KoAloha KSM-02 (Long Neck), Barron River
    Mini: iUke Piccolo, Fred Shields Pocket

Keep your fret hand fingernails clipped. Hope you have as much fun as I am.

I got the Kala KAA-15C. It had some good reviews on Amazon so I bought it. I didn't want to go all out until I was sure it would be something I like. Well, I like. I'm taking the courses online at the Center Stage Ukulele Academy. It was a Groupon deal for $12 for a year. Figure I can use all the help I can get. So far I like the tutorials but I feel a little unsure at times and they can't tell me if I'm doing it right or if I need to adjust my technique. I've practiced all but one day since it arrived last Saturday. I'm having a difficult time with the G chord and my fingertips are tender. LOL I will push on and try to become halfway competent. I'm fairly certain I will need a live instructor sooner than later. I really like that the uke is so easily portable and not very cumbersome (except when I attempt the G chord).

One of my most common recommendations for beginners or heavy-handed players is that they experiment with just how much pressure is required to fret a string. Start by holding your finger on it (muting it) and then incrementally increase the pressure (and pick the note) until it rings clearly and take note. Usually it takes less pressure than you would think. After that, it's just a matter of trying to stick with that kind of pressure. The long-term detrimental effects of pressing too hard get pretty gnarly.

Thread Information