New from Texas, howdy everyone!

tstarky

Reaction score
All my life I have been the odd one in my family with no musical abilities. My husband and son play guitar and bass, son-in-law plays drums and my daughter and daughter-in-law sing like birds. I can't sing (I lip sync'd happy birthday to my kids the minute I realized they knew I couldn't sing, LOL).

Learning a musical instrument has been on my bucket list so this year I am taking it on with a Ukulele. My uke will be here tomorrow. I'm so excited to get started!

Welcome and congrats. Glad you joined us. Find some songs in the Key of C and have the family join along. Always have fun and enjoy!

Keep us posted

Good to know you,you will enjoy your ukulele when you get it!

Welcome! I hope the ukulele clicks as an instrument for you. So many of us here have your musical background and found the ukulele is the instrument they have been looking for.

Thank you all for the warm welcome! It arrived today and I practiced for just over an hour on C, G and F. My fingers need to grow calluses fast! LOL

Welcome and congrats on your new uke! Show us some pics!

I got the Kala KAA-15C. It had some good reviews on Amazon so I bought it. I didn't want to go all out until I was sure it would be something I like. Well, I like. ;) I'm taking the courses online at the Center Stage Ukulele Academy. It was a Groupon deal for $12 for a year. Figure I can use all the help I can get. So far I like the tutorials but I feel a little unsure at times and they can't tell me if I'm doing it right or if I need to adjust my technique. I've practiced all but one day since it arrived last Saturday. I'm having a difficult time with the G chord and my fingertips are tender. LOL I will push on and try to become halfway competent. I'm fairly certain I will need a live instructor sooner than later. I really like that the uke is so easily portable and not very cumbersome (except when I attempt the G chord). :(

One of my most common recommendations for beginners or heavy-handed players is that they experiment with just how much pressure is required to fret a string. Start by holding your finger on it (muting it) and then incrementally increase the pressure (and pick the note) until it rings clearly and take note. Usually it takes less pressure than you would think. After that, it's just a matter of trying to stick with that kind of pressure. The long-term detrimental effects of pressing too hard get pretty gnarly.

Top Bottom