Incredible presentation

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
'tho do with violins this is a must watch for anyone who thinks that somehow there is a right way to make ukulele. Sam addresses front and centre the conservatism of violinists - a similar attitude found in some ukulele players. However, towards the end of his presentation he makes an important assertion - he builds for his clients: the way they play, record and even down to the venues they play. Absolutely fascinating and without bragging, a vindication of what I have often said about making -
You cannot change much. What you can do is look from the point of tradition forward to a better way of making, a more precise way of making with the best materials assembled in the best format. There is no secret; it is down to craftsmanship, care and a fundamental understanding of how wood works...

If you can't view video here is the link https://vimeo.com/96834189

Last edited:
Conservatism from ukulele players, as compared to the violin community? Heck when I said I wanted to make a violin I was told I might be able to build a fiddle my first go round but no way would I be able to make a violin, or something to that effect.

Would love to see the vid also.

I think the most interesting part is the animation of the motion of the violin as it is being played, based on actual observed laser scans. The motion of the body is very very complex. It is not a simple 'pump', but rather it is pumping, twisting, and rippling from one end to another. So complex it is no wonder that there is no simple answer as to how to make an instrument sound good.

I would really like to see such an animated laser scan of an ukulele being strummed. There has been so much conversation/debate as to what parts contribute to the sound more- or less than others. That would give us amazing insight to the how’s and why’s of the way we build. The violin is pretty locked down and not many experiment with tone bars or sound hole placement /layout, but ukulele are all over the map in comparison.

Does anyone know anyone that might know someone who might have a contact that could get a process started to laser scan and animate an ukulele in motion? Where do we begin?

I have experimented in the past with placing little bits of sticky clay in different locations on top of the soundboard to dampen overactive areas for an overall balance. And while quite interesting to see the effects it has on the sound, it’s not clear how to then thranslate that into what to do with bracing on the underside for a permanent change.

I’m keen on the idea of fine tuining each instrument with bracing changes/tweaks but of course the ukulele offers little access to make this a practical process once it’s assembled. And who knows, maybe variables like strings and saddles would cancel out such tuning anyway. Just thinking out loud.

Top Bottom