Dead notes on Koaloha super concert?

fountainpenkid

Reaction score
Hi all,

This summer I bought a 2017 Koaloha Super Concert from HMS (online). They had a few in stock, and I decided arbitrarily between those I was told stood out tonally. I did have a L.R Baggs pickup installed. I noticed as soon as it came that the C#5 on the A string was a bit of a wolf/dead note, but thought it would disappear as the instrument settled in. I was so impressed overall that I decided to put the concern aside. 6 months later, it has not gone away whatsoever. I've changed strings from Worth to Aquilla and back again, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Some amount dead notes will appear on any instrument, but to have one in 1st position is bothersome and, I think, unacceptable. I've tried all sorts of changes in plucking and fingering technique to no avail: the recalcitrant C# sticks out in lines of melody and dulls and muddies chords. Have others noticed this behavior with this model? Could the pickup system have something to do with it? Is there any hope of changing it?

Thanks,

Will

Mine rings clean and clear up and down the fretboard. Definitely not a model issue.

Try the C#5 on the other strings or tune the uke a hole tone up or down to see if that fix the problem.

Is there any hope of changing it?

Absolutely! This is not something you should have to live with.

I would suggest contacting the Dealer and getting their take. You could call Koaloha too, they've been super each time I've dealt with them, but I think I would start with the sellers first.

I would suggest contacting the Dealer and getting their take. You could call Koaloha too, they've been super each time I've dealt with them, but I think I would start with the sellers first.

Definitely contact Koaloha, they have a lifetime warranty that is the best in the buisness. A personal friend of mine had the same issue with one of their tenors, they ended up replacing the uke.

If you tune it up or down and the spot just shifts, I doubt any string change will help. Call HMS or Koaloha.

Try the C#5 on the other strings or tune the uke a hole tone up or down to see if that fix the problem.

I have done both. In other places: the C#4 on the C string and C#5 on the E string are slightly muted, but the problem manifests most strongly on the A and G strings (C#5 in both cases). I should have been more specific earlier about the deadness--I'm referring to the note sounding more percussive and "plunky" than its neighbors, and, importantly, decaying almost immediately, leaving ringing overtones (octaves of C#)*. Tuning a whole step down eliminated most of the deadness at those frets, and Ziret, yes, the spot just shifted (although it wasn't quite as bad in the shifted positions). So I guess this means its an acoustical, not physical, issue. The instrument really doesn't like C#5, especially on the G and A strings.
*This overtone phenomenon--where the note almost immediately becomes a composite of overtones--happens to F and F#4 on the E string as well, but those notes ring well and have none of the plunky deadness.

Last edited:
Mine rings clean and clear up and down the fretboard. Definitely not a model issue.

Mine is good on all strings & all frets too - I'm using Living Water fluorocarbon concert scale low G strings on it. :)

Definitely contact Koaloha, they have a lifetime warranty that is the best in the buisness. A personal friend of mine had the same issue with one of their tenors, they ended up replacing the uke.

Thanks for the suggestions! I will give Koaloha a call.

I spoke with one of their technicians (Brian) yesterday. He's decided to send me some strings and saddles to try, although I have a feeling the issue has more to do with the intrinsic qualities of the instrument than the particulars of at least these aspects of the setup. I don't expect it will work but I can't criticize his course of action--seeing if little things can make a difference before recommending I ship back the instrument. We'll see. I'll update as soon as there's a need.

Last edited:
I spoke with one of their technicians (Brian) yesterday. He's decided to send me some strings and saddles to try, although I have a feeling the issue has more to do with the intrinsic qualities of the instrument than the particulars of at least these aspects of the setup. I don't expect it will work but I can't criticize his course of action--seeing if little things can make a difference before recommending I ship back the instrument. We'll see. I'll update as soon as there's a need.

Brian is one of the Senior builders/managers at Ko'Aloha so you are in good hands...I guess he wants to try some options before paying for shipping/handling from your city to Honolulu and back

my Ko'Aloha super concert sounds and plays fine

Last edited:
Top Bottom