Ukule Helps Teach Happiness

Peace Train

Reaction score
Here’s a great example of the ukulele being used to teach happiness in schools.

“The first thing I noticed is that the kids relax, sit in their chairs satisfied, think differently, and go home with a certain feeling that they then pass on to others.

“It creates a basis for the rest of your life. What is more important than how you approach life? I think as a teacher it’s very important to guide them with that.”

~ Annemiek, Teacher

Thank you for sharing the Video, I’m not sure which country it’s set in but my best guess is Holland. The attitudes around that part of the world (Holland, Denmark, Norway and Sweden) are, I think, often very good as regards support and development of the individual and I only wish we had more of them here in the U.K.

I picked up on the point made in the video about education being focussed towards and virtually exclusive about academic learning and think society has that balance all wrong. To my mind school should prepare you for adult life rather than cram you full of academic stuff, stuff that mostly you’ll never use and could learn at some latter date as and when you need it. Here in the U.K. we now teach as a subject, if not to as big an extent as perhaps needed, Personal and Social Education which is basically the practical and social stuff you need to function as an adult in functional Society. I doubt that the syllabus includes ‘happiness’ but hope that it does.

If we taught Ukulele in schools here then we’d immediately loose sight of the joy playing it brings and turn it into a dry and soulless academic subject with exams to show progress and attainment. To me playing the Uke is about the pleasure gained through making the music that I can and socially engaging with others in shared songs and conversations. As you cannot grade or exam that accademics and society seem to regard it as valueless, to my mind that’s a shame but that’s the daft way we generally seem to be heading.

Last edited:
Music Therapy, with any instrument can serve to calm the wildest beasts, er, I mean 'children'. LOL.

Top Bottom