Flamenco Rumba for solo Ukukle

I think the real question here is: Would you have offered the same criticism in real life and not on the internet? For some reason people think they can just say whatever they want with absolutely no repercussions just because it's under the veil of online anonymity. In this day and age you are your online persona. So when you come out of the woodwork to offer criticism that wasn't asked for you're really just posturing. Call yourself a "professional busker" all you want. Whatever the heck that is. Here in Nashville the "professional buskers" are the ones who aren't good enough to play in the real clubs.

Also, when you mention that no one commented on this post until your criticism... I'm not surprised. People love drama. Otherwise why would I even waste my time responding to you. lol

Someone ELSE mentioned that no one commented before me. Not me.

Would I offer criticism in person. Definitely. That was a core aspect of the Camera Club I was in. Offer constructive criticism so that we all get better.

Meh, busking is where the money is. You don't need to be better to play in clubs. Just be prepared to allow yourself to get ripped off.

Thanks to all for your kind comments and critique.
For those who have requested a tab for the piece, here is a link for you to download the tab in pdf format.
https://app.box.com/s/bgyhkkb22m23npr48jb40far8ccxe8fj
A few notes regarding playing a Flamenco style rumba might help here, especially with the rhythm. The arpeggio at the beginning gives us the clue to this timing. I would advise you to just work on this at first and try and understand the timing.
A rumba rhythm is typical of many latin styles in its basic concept. Think of each bar as a series of 8th notes subdivided as 123,123,12 with the accents on the 1! You may want to clap this out at first to get the feel. This is important and once you have this you can then feel how the rumba and many latin rhythms feel. If you then look at the tab at the first series of arpeggios note the following. The Thumb should take the low string and is the accent 1. your index finger should take the next string and is 2. Finally your third finger should take the next string and is 3. At first always push the thumb(1) until you can start to feel the rhythm. you can practice this on the bottom 3 open strings of your Ukulele without any fretting until you start getting the rhythm. Always practice very slowly at first!
The rumba rhythm is a very light fast happy piece unlike most flamenco styles. In fact it is frowned upon as being very light weight amongst the flamenco elite. The biggest exponent of the rumba style is the Gipsy Kings. It is also worth noting the the world wide record sales for the Gipsy Kings totals more than all the combined record sales for the rest of the flamenco recording history. That is some statistic.....it came from the internet so it must be true!!!!
The Rumba that I have created deliberately speeds up towards the end. This is because the rumba slaps at the end are more spectacular at a faster pace.........in other words I was showing off:eek:!
I have not tabbed out the Rasgueados (strums) as they are improvised. You will embellish the piece with these as you see fit as you play through the piece.
If you have any questions regarding the rumba I will happily try and answer them.
In the meantime enjoy your playing.
Mike

Last edited:
Great Mike, I'm intrigued by this, it's a good explanation you've provided there. I wonder if I might be able to learn something like this ?!
I'm really not good at following tabs and have never played a style like this, and pretty much an beginner-intermediate player if I'm generous about saying so myself. I do have a Tenor with low G setup which I could try it on that with some patience and perseverence over time, I've got other things to work on and do also but this could be an interesting project for me to try and learn over some time. Thanks for the video, tabs and explanation of learning the playing style.

Thank you Mike for the detail explanation. I only wish my fingers can go that fast. Flamenco style is the most difficult to learn. I was interested in a ukulele base on it's look until I realized it's built for Flamenco finger style. I must say it's pretty impressive that you can do Flamenco style on a regular baritone and does it so well. Bravo to you!

Your valuable contribution to this forum is greatly appreciated.

For those wonder who is Mike Holland - here are his videos.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MikeHollandGuitar/videos

Last edited:
Thank you for the video and the tab download! This will be a new winter project for me;)

Top Bottom