Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help please- new recording setup

Default Help please- new recording setup

Hi all.
    I have posted many times on the Seasons, but all my posts have simply been recorded live on my ipad or more recently, my samsung phone.
    I stand in front of it, sing and play, send it to the PC thru Movie Maker, and that's pretty much it.
    I was wanting to take it a bit of a step further, and have no idea what I am doing. I have purchased a Focusrite Scarlett Solo USB Audio Interface, and i can plug in a condenser microphone and my Uke .

Before even getting to the editing stage I can see a problem here, in that when I sing and play I will get the Uke recording OK in one track (I guess that's what it is called), but if I am recording live I will get my vocals AND the live Uke on the other track via the microphone.

Is this correct? Is this what everybody else does?
    Russell
    from Queenscliff, near Geelong, near Melbourne, in Australia

Booli has a massive amount of info about recording set ups & equipment on the forum, but personally, I just use a USB mic, (Samson Meteor), about halfway between me & my uke, plugged into the computer, & record using Audacity.

I transfer that into a video editor, add a picture or two, save it to disk, then post it to Youtube, for inclusion on the forum.

Edit: Booli's thread - http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...e-to-buy-a-mic
    Last edited by Croaky Keith; 01-16-2018 at 11:33 PM.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.
    Formerly known as uke1950.

Thanks Keith, I have looked at that thread in the past, but not when I was requiring help. Booli sure is knowledgeable, been at it a long time obviously.
    It seems obvious now that I am overthinking it. I don’t need to plug my uke into the Focusrite solo, but just record a single track with uke and vocals as I did on the phone. This way I can also plug the uke into my new amplifier for effects if desired.
    Russell

I think you are fine. If you go a more pro route. You would record your uke on one track with your uke plugged in. No vocals. Then, you would play back the uke track through headphones and using your condenser mic record your vocals. Preferably in a super quiet and sound dampened room (if not a sound booth). That gives you two tracks that you can mix and adjust relative volumes and tonal qualities. Then output as a file. From my point of view, you have 3 levels of recording. 1. Use a single mic to record uke and vocals, 2. Use a mic for your vocals and a pickup for your uke (where you can adjust the input levels of each as you record - sounds like you now have that setup), and 3. Record vocal separate from the uke and mix them later with full control of audio levels and qualities.
    My pride and joy is a Solid Mahogany Tiny Tenor from Pepe Romero/Daniel Ho. I named it "LumiŤre"
    I also have a Kala Soprano KA-ASOV-S Spruce and Ovangkol which I named "Blood, Sweat, & Tears"
    And another soprano by Kanilea. The Islander AS-4 Acacia that I call "Little Bear"

Quote Originally Posted by cyber3d View Post
    I think you are fine. If you go a more pro route. You would record your uke on one track with your uke plugged in. No vocals. Then, you would play back the uke track through headphones and using your condenser mic record your vocals. Preferably in a super quiet and sound dampened room (if not a sound booth). That gives you two tracks that you can mix and adjust relative volumes and tonal qualities. Then output as a file. From my point of view, you have 3 levels of recording. 1. Use a single mic to record uke and vocals, 2. Use a mic for your vocals and a pickup for your uke (where you can adjust the input levels of each as you record - sounds like you now have that setup), and 3. Record vocal separate from the uke and mix them later with full control of audio levels and qualities.
    Thanks cyber3d, I agree that no 1 is Ok as it stands. No 2 I thought I had covered, but I go back to my original post, and unless I record them separately, which I don't want to do, then the uke comes in live over the top of the vocals as well as being recorded as a separate track. I'm happy with No 1 though.
    Thanks for the response.
    Russell

Something else that is happening that I don't really understand is that the the playback from the recording software (I'm trying a couple of them - Ableton and NCH Wavepad) playback OK because I have the audio output set to Focusrite. When I then go to pay a youtube clip I have to change the speaker icon in the lower rh corner of the PC to "Speakers", which means I may be doing a fair bit of toggling between the two. Is this normal behaviour, or can I get it to change automatically
    Russell

When you record, you should be able to select your input source, then you ought to be able to play back through your computer.

Maybe try recording using Audacity, its free, its what I, & several others, use.
    https://www.audacityteam.org/download/
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.
    Formerly known as uke1950.

Quote Originally Posted by Croaky Keith View Post
    When you record, you should be able to select your input source, then you ought to be able to play back through your computer.

Maybe try recording using Audacity, its free, its what I, & several others, use.
    https://www.audacityteam.org/download/
    Thanks Keith, but I donít think the software is the problem. Itís more of a system thing, I think
    I have my output in those software packages set to Focusrite, which works fine when I playback what is recorded. And in the speaker icon in the bottom rh corner the output shows it is set to Focusrite.
    Now when I go to play a YouTube clip, I have to change the speaker icon in the bottom rh corner from Focusrite to Speakers to get any sound out. I am just wondering if this is normal or is there something I am missing.
    I guess I am hoping that someone with a Focusrite or similar unit will read this and tell me if this is what they have to do also.
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by cyber3d View Post
    Cyber: how do you feel about using an audio interface, such as the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2? Would that give you pro level quality results as well? I'm the type of guy that prefers to sing and play at the same time, rather than laying down two separate tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyy View Post
    Something else that is happening that I don't really understand is that the the playback from the recording software (I'm trying a couple of them - Ableton and NCH Wavepad) playback OK because I have the audio output set to Focusrite. When I then go to pay a youtube clip I have to change the speaker icon in the lower rh corner of the PC to "Speakers", which means I may be doing a fair bit of toggling between the two. Is this normal behaviour, or can I get it to change automatically
    I don't have an audio interface, but my PC doesn't have a problem detecting the headphones connected to my USB microphone and using the, automatically when they are plugged in.
    I assume that you have tried setting up the focusrite as output in the PC control panel? This would of course be tedious if you don't have it plugged in permanently.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

Thread Information