Aquila Low G unwound reds update

mimmo

Reaction score
Caldogno, Northen Italy (50 Km far from Venice)
Hi guys,
I have discovered a very interesting thing concerning our single low G reds: if I charge with metal powder the recent plastic I have dicovered and that came from the sugar -cane instead the traditional Nylgut I employ on these Low G reds, I have seen that they perform damn louder and brighter than the traditional ones.

The string is also stronger, despite the fact that actually the last version of the reds is much more better than those made in the begginning (1st and 2nd generation)
The colour is less brik-like but reddish, closer to the upper reds.

HERE is:
https://www.facebook.com/mperuffo/videos/10216070211849438/

So.... may I ask to some of you, guys, expecially the HATERS of the Aquila unwound low g reds to give a try and then tell me what they thinks? Maybe even those that had breckages....:eek:

Yeah, I will pick up some for the NAMM show for all the guys of the hall E full of ukulele players, friends, dudes & makers.

Please send me the request, the complete adress plus a phone to
aquila@aquilacorde.com

thanks
Mimmo Italy

Last edited:
I am a died in the wool "WOUND" string low G user. I find non-wound always dull and thuddy sounding. But I am up for experimenting as I finally gave the high G Reds a good test on a few ukes and was very pleased, I like the new smooth texture so much better.

Thank you for continuing to improve your products and always pushing the envelope.

Yes, I'm on a re entrant binge at the moment but as one of those people with historical issues with the reds I just wanted to post and say I really enjoy the new batches and thanks to Mimmo for always looking to improve and give us more options.

Guys guys!
remember: which kind of uke is; phone number, no piobox. No 6 & 8 tenor strings, no baritone, no banjo ukes (I have no strings for these ones) and.. I want expecially those that are haters and like unwound low G fluorocarbon strings, ja
thanks
Mimmo

Last edited:
I have not used the Reds, but have some other Aquilas on my instrument and am awaiting a set of Sugar strings to come in the mail (ordered from the site). I have to say that I am impressed with Mimmo's desire to keep experimenting, keep improving and keep listening to player's feedback. That is great customer service.

Mimmo,

How about red trebles for the e tuning cordoba mini? Any chance Aquila could make these?

Thanks Mimmo for this very generous offer. I am SLOWLY developing a taste for Low G and prefer Unwound, so this will be interesting to hear.

I've never found a good unwound low G for my Concert Fluke. This might be a good option.

Hi Guys. I have received a lot of requests!

I think that we can stop there. A big thanks.

Today I will do the job sending you the samples. Then ready to the NAMM shows. I will have good time seeing a lot of good friends such as Mike Upton and collegues of Kala ukuleles, Cordoba, Risa, Kanilea and so on. I will have woth me a lot of Sugar uke sets plus these newest Low G reds.They are all waiting these things. Go ahead now
Ciao
Mimmo

Thank you Mimmo. I just want to let you know that my Mya Moe baritone has a set of your Carbon black strings on it and has never sounded so good, seriously. I have had trouble finding the right treble strings for this instrument and the Blacks are the best I have tried.

I received the Red low G strings today, thank you Mimmo that was very fast. I put the Red low G on my Koolau CS Spruce and Myrtle tenor. I did this about an hour ago and it is still stretching of course but it seems very promising. I will play the instrument a lot over the next few days then do a review. Thank you again

Hi Mimmo. I received mine today for a concert Fluke. I also put one on my soprano (14" scale, slightly longer than the normal scale) Flea. I already have Aquila Red's on the Flea (high G) so I'm just changing the high G for the low G. And so far it sounds good! Better than I expected. Better than most of the fluorocarbon low G's I've ever tried (I love Worth strings, but hate their low G's).
Also I love the texture of Aquila Red's.
I would say this is a very good option for folks who like low G.
... Off to play some more... Thanks again!
-Tom

I've never found a good unwound low G for my Concert Fluke. This might be a good option.

Strings are very much a matter of presonal preference. I have a Worth clear (CT) low G on my tenor Fluke and am very happy with it.

When I had my Tenor Fluke tuned dGBE, I thought at first the G sounded thuddy but several people said how much they liked the sound so it seems that what we hear is not what others hear when we are playing our instruments.

Maybe it would be an idea to record your instrument if you think the low G string sounds thuddy so you something closer to what other people hear before you write a particular string off as "thuddy"

Strings are very much a matter of presonal preference. I have a Worth clear (CT) low G on my tenor Fluke and am very happy with it.

When I had my Tenor Fluke tuned dGBE, I thought at first the G sounded thuddy but several people said how much they liked the sound so it seems that what we hear is not what others hear when we are playing our instruments.

Maybe it would be an idea to record your instrument if you think the low G string sounds thuddy so you something closer to what other people hear before you write a particular string off as "thuddy"

I agree with what you are saying "we as players hear thing differently then others listening". Everytime someone plays one of my ukes and I am facing that player the instrument sounds different. But what is most important to me is how I hear it when playing it, if a floro low G sounds thuddy to me it sounds thuddy and I don't like it and won't use it. Just another perspective, but I do agree with igorthebarbarian

Initial testing has been very promising. This non wound low G is NOT thuddy.

Last edited:
Sitting yesterday I hear someone talking outside my door I lower the TV to hear a light tapping at the door. Cue my year and a half old pit bull to now want to see who is at the door. After a minute he realizes he is not getting his way and listens to the repeated command to lay down. I rush outside pissed off now having heard the truck beeping as it backed away, I'm fuming I'm not expecting anything...

I look down to see a large envelope sitting on the ground. I pick it up and see where its from and I'm instantly happy and smiling, what a turn around. Minutes later after tearing into the well sealed envelope I find not one but two wonderful new strings to try. Having had not one but two of the old low G's break on my Risa soprano I feel I need to pull that one out and give it a go. Ive been sitting here trying to decide which ukulele to string up low G.

Ive walked my new to me Timms to my backroom as the temptation was great. I recently put an older red low G on my Kala SEM which I love, perhaps I will swap it with that one for a comparison or I have a similar GAS model I could throw it on. The tonality to my ears the GAS is a bit brighter and fuller than the SEM, the SEM being a bit duller with more bass naturally.

Heh if all of life's decisions were so tough.

Good luck at NAMM Mimmo! I'm really looking forward to hearing some more responses to your new Sugar strings, and for them to be available in Canada.

I'm more interested in finding these strings when they come up for sale than in alpha testing. Please, let us know when this happens.

I put the Red low G on my Koolau CS Spruce and Myrtle tenor.
How would you describe the tension on tenor scale? I'm really more curious how this string might work on 19" scale. If it is medium to higher tension as a G3 on 17", then maybe it could serve as low to medium tension as an E3 on 19" scale which could be useful to me in a couple of ways.

Top Bottom