differences with Kanilea models

valde002

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the real differences are with the models? K1-3?

I think the K3 has a rounded back, do the K1 or 2s have it as well? The woods seem to be the same, just prettier as you go higher in model? Do they sound about the same?

Thanks for any insight.

They basically gives you the same sound, except the level of "bling". (Of course each instrument is slightly different.). All K levels have the same rounded back. The differences are in the rosette and bindings. Within each level, there are differences in the level of wood. Regular, deluxe and premium, with premium being the prettiest (Occasionally, you can get a master grade Koa). So, you can have a K1 premium (no blings, but great looking curly Koa) vs a K3 Deluxe (thick wood rosette but bindings, but less curly Koa).

I'm a huge fan of Kanile'a, having a concert, a tenor and a 19 inch scale tenor. For me, not only is the playability a plus with Kanile'a, but the neck depth (thinner) and the 1.5 inch nut are also important.

Whatever you decide, I hope you are happy.

If they all sound the same, I will go for the less blingy. There is beauty in simplicity.

Am starting to really like the wider but thinner necks. I find it is better for picking for me. Put on Kamaka strings and I am glued to it for hours!

The Kanile'a sound is very Standardized across their range of Ukes.

The differences in the various wood that you will get from one Uke to the next is what is going to make it sound a little different, and I don't mean from level of quality either, lower grade vs higher grade Koa... Some will be a little brighter, some will be a little warmer...

If you really want a Kanile'a, I'd say try an play as many as you can to find one that sounds nice to your ears, and putting on Kamaka's black strings is not going to help, those strings are not good at all... Try out the various Aquila and Worth strings instead...

Aloha :shaka:

Top Bottom