Kamaka semi gloss

valde002

Reaction score
Anyone like the new Kamaka semi gloss?

I don't like it. I am a gloss guy anyways; to me, gloss makes the uke look well-made, protects the wood better, and it seems that the mo better luthiers use gloss (check out MB, Kanilea) or lacquer. But was open to trying semi gloss since Kamaka has gone in that direction. Have some older Kamaka gloss models, and in comparison, the finish seems to be superior. I love my new HF-3, but it seems delicate, seems like it will ding and scratch more easily. My fingers sound scratchy on the body when I handle it.

IMO, Kamaka has upgraded the tuners and needed to maintain current cost levels by cheaping out on the finish.

Will there be a way to refinish in a few years when/if the finish wears away?

Not really picky about much, but for $1,300+ wood and strings it is difficult to not be.

I have a Taylor Guitar with a semi-gloss finish that I have owned for 25+ years and it doesn't need refinishing.

When did they start doing this?

Any pictures?

Kamaka did not "cheap" out on the finish just because it is semi gloss. You realize that Kanilea , who you like, also offers a matt, natural and semi gloss. It will protect your instrument just as well as a gloss. If you like the older gloss better that is fine but don't go slandering Kamaka. For the record Andrew and all the crew at HMS publicly stated they like the new finish better, it is all personal choice. New people read this stuff and could make a decision based on inaccurate information

Kamaka did not "cheap" out on the finish just because it is semi gloss. You realize that Kanilea , who you like, also offers a matt, natural and semi gloss. It will protect your instrument just as well as a gloss. If you like the older gloss better that is fine but don't go slandering Kamaka. For the record Andrew and all the crew at HMS publicly stated they like the new finish better, it is all personal choice. New people read this stuff and could make a decision based on inaccurate information

Now Dave, do you have any kamakas in each gloss? Do you even know what I am talking about? Slander? Really?! I love Kamaka ukes and prefer them over any other brand (5:1 and counting! vs Kanilea). For me, the feel of the instrument and strings is just as important as sound to my playing experience. I don't look at my uke while playing, so looks come last. There is a certain feel of scratchiness, or resistance/drag with the new semigloss body. I will include some comparison photos of what I call interrupting blebs in the finish. 'blebs' are the first word that popped into my head when I felt them! They are small but noticeable to me anyways.

now why are you bringing Andrew/HMS into this? Kamaka is not HMS, and the original post didn't even mention them. I love them and order new ukes only from them. They handle tons of ukes and their experiences and insight are invalulable. Their opinion is fine, but this is not about them. This is about Kamaka, my friend. The Gold standard. Always on the ukulele pedestal that we all strum to. It would be nice if they offered different lines like Kanilea with the different finishes...

As you mentioned, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm not knocking semi-gloss lovers. I do hope that the new finish protects my uke like the taylor guitar above and as you say. It is my first high-end semi-gloss. I would have it refinished to the old gloss in hearbeat if I could; until then, only time will tell! New people: research and see for yourself.

first photos older gloss. second group semi gloss20180122_111640.jpg20180122_111653.jpg20180122_111839.jpg

20180122_112130.jpg20180122_112157.jpg

I hope you can see what I am talking about, if not I can take more photos!

Seems like I hit a nerve, sorry if I offended you it was not my intention. But when you say "Kamaka cheaped out.......semi gloss is not as durable" you are slandering them. They did not cheap out and a semi gloss lacquer is as durable as gloss lacquer. This is NOT just a guess on my part, I was production manager of a large custom woodworking shop and I have sprayed all kinds of different lacquer. I mentioned HMS because as you said they have handled way more ukes then anyone ever will and they tell it like it is.

Yes I own both old- high gloss and new-semi gloss Kamakas. The old one is a super concert the new one is a 100th Anniversary baritone. I would not have commented on your post if you did not say "cheaped out" or "less durable". I happen to agree with you and prefer the look of high gloss. I just did not want people thinking Kamaka no longer cares about the quality of their product as your wording would indicate

1516657927328436520315.jpg15166580459972096109910.jpg

A friend of mine visited The Ukulele Site store last year and spent alot of time choosing a new instrument. Once she narrowed it down to the size and tonewood she liked, she then had to decide whether to get the glossy or semi gloss finish. The fellow helping her pointed out that if she got a glossy finish, she could eat fried chicken and then play her uke without worrying that any greasy fingers will damage the finish! She ended up with a glossy finish.

My latest purchase is a satin finish LoPrinzi tenor and I absolutely LOVE everything about it. [ I'm a vegetarian so I don't have to worry about greasy fingers from fried chicken :) ]

Oh wait, this is a more glossy look they are doing now?

If so I have seen a few of these locally...

I wouldn't even call the new finishes 'semi gloss'. They are just not mirror finish. Still just as durable, and not 'cheaping out'. I prefer them to be honest.

Well I was in the local music shop the other day, and they always have Kamaka Ukes hanging on the wall.

I looked at a Concert, and it appeared to have a bit more to it then I've seen in the past, but it's not like a thick gloss Kanilea, you still see the grains, but not as much.

Overall, a bit shinier to the look, with a little more gloss, but I've noticed the control on this seems to vary a little from Uke to Uke sometimes. A few months back I saw a Tenor that had a little more gloss to it...

Well I was in the local music shop the other day, and they always have Kamaka Ukes hanging on the wall.

I looked at a Concert, and it appeared to have a bit more to it then I've seen in the past, but it's not like a thick gloss Kanilea, you still see the grains, but not as much.

Overall, a bit shinier to the look, with a little more gloss, but I've noticed the control on this seems to vary a little from Uke to Uke sometimes. A few months back I saw a Tenor that had a little more gloss to it...

Yes AlohaKine,
I think there just might be high variability to their glosses, it seems. I recently received my new Kamaka HF-3DC from HMS and it has a gloss finish. It was made in 2017- so a newer model. Much, much better; just like I expected from Kamaka. I thought it might be better gloss because it's a higher model but I think you may be right about the QC on these.

Yay Kamaka! BTW cedar top is the way to go. I can't go back to non-cedar now. Am watching out for a HF-2DC next...

Top Bottom