wanted your old or beginner ukuleles for shantytown children in Peru

frianm

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I write this begging email with the approval of the moderators, who I thank for allowing this shameless begging.

If you have a unused ukulele that you would like to serve a wonderful purpose then i am shamelessly asking for it so I can take it to Lima, Peru. There it will be put to great use by a local colleague and dear friend. He is a really gifted musician.

I am a part time missionary in Peru - about two months per year, having been full time but now age is catching up with me. In December I was speaking with a shantytown pastor and he saw my travel ukulele and asked me if I had any to spare for his young people. This is a pastor who is a gifted musician and to whom I have given banjos and guitars which I have seen him use well over the last ten years. He and his wife work with children from the shantytown that is pictures below. It is on the north side among the dusty hills that surround Lima.

I am heading down next week (too soon for a response!) and again in March and again in May and again in June. I can comfortably carry two or maybe three per trip. I live in Vermont so that is where you would have to ship any donations.

Thanks for reading this and bless you advance.
Ian

PS - sets of strings are a great help too.
PPS - There is no tax benefit to you as I am not a 501c3. BUT those who suffer from UAS might feel better about things by giving one away.

Attachments

• 23435121_1688231131248006_852653878725156137_n.jpg
    23435121_1688231131248006_852653878725156137_n.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 69
  • P1000575.jpg
    P1000575.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 63
  • P1000578.jpg
    P1000578.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 60
  • P1000598.jpg
    P1000598.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 58
  • P1000605.jpg
    P1000605.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 53
This sounds like a great cause. If I lived closer than Arizona I’d consider but shipping might be too much

I have a Córdoba 15cm I’ll send your way, with bag. PM me the address, and I’ll get it out tomorrow.

It is probably too late for this, but send Kala a note and let them know what you are doing, and ask if they would have any Waterman that they would be willing to donate to the cause. I haven’t see Kala donating large sets to education as they used to—but that may just be due to people not saying anything about their donated sets!

This sounds like a great cause. If I lived closer than Arizona I’d consider but shipping might be too much

I have found that sopranos can be sent by mail for a fairly modest amount - if shipped without a case they are light. I do encourage you to check at the Post Office. Let me know if you need a box.
Best - Ian
PS - shipping would be to VT 05143, not to Peru as I will be hand carrying.

Last edited:
It is probably too late for this, but send Kala a note and let them know what you are doing, and ask if they would have any Waterman that they would be willing to donate to the cause. I haven’t see Kala donating large sets to education as they used to—but that may just be due to people not saying anything about their donated sets!

Let me check with them - certainly worth a try.
Thanks for the heads up
Ian

Ian,
Thanks for making the world a better place (and doing it through ukes!)
Can ukes be shipped to you anytime, or only when you're back in town?
(I still have your address after shipping the tenor to you.)

Ian,
Thanks for making the world a better place (and doing it through ukes!)
Can ukes be shipped to you anytime, or only when you're back in town?
(I still have your address after shipping the tenor to you.)

Any time as my wife is not coming to Peru this week.
I do not know how much I do - IMHO it is a God thing and I just get to play a part.
Making the world a nicer, kinder, place is what we are working on is it not?
Thanks and many blessings

I have just returned from a week in Lima - there is so much excitement about this small project. While away four instruments have arrived and I am thrilled - THANKS

I know of another instrument coming and some strings and a gig bag.

Thanks o much for sharing and being so generous.
Ian

Happy to hear this. I bet there are some smiling faces in Peru.

I will PM for an address. I can ship you something directly from Amazon. What is the need at this point?

Last edited:
Ian, just shipped you a MK-T Kala tenor and gigbag. Hope it brings someone joy. :)

Last edited:
Do they need tuners?

How about - http://www.eastcoastmusic.com/Ukulele-Pitch-Pipe-G-C-E-A-Tuning-UP4P-p/zhl124660.htm

or

https://www.amazon.com/Kratt-SN5-Su...rd_wg=RmbyF&psc=1&refRID=T88W07F5R6Y8S90Q7EF7

If you want some, pm me. Anyone have experience with either or these, would the plastic one be too low quality to even work/last for the kids?

Thanks for the offer - I have not used these for decades and prefer the clip on ones. How much do you like this whistle types?

Thanks for the offer - I have not used these for decades and prefer the clip on ones. How much do you like this whistle types?

I use the clip on also, but I'm thinking they might not have access to batteries for the digital kind.
What do you think?

How do they tune them now?

PM me your shipping address and the date when you're leaving - and I'll send you a few tuners.

How do they tune them now?

PM me your shipping address and the date when you're leaving - and I'll send you a few tuners.

They have not got the ukes to them yet but will do - other friends use the electric tuners. Sending PM
Thanks

Top Bottom